Thread: William Smith

Allblack

Default William Smith

I discovered that my William Smith was born in Sibton, Suffolk, abt 1787 according to Census records. At some stage he must have moved to Stepney where he married and stayed, but whether he moved there with parents or just as a young man on his own I cannot find out. With such a small amount of info, could somone please suggest the parish or town or area which Sibton would come under where I could seek to find any records. I don't know if he had siblings, or the names of his parents. Should I write to the local historical society? I've been hurling myself at this brick wall for many months to no avail. Any suggestions please? Thanks a million.
    Allblack

pippycat

Sibton, Suffolk is less than a mile from the village of Peasenhall and 2 miles from the town of Yoxford, Suffolk.

All come under the Blything Registration district, and I believe the records are held at Ipswich Record Office, Suffolk.

Just for info:
    There is a St Peter's Church in Sibton and St Michael in Peasenhall....also a Sibton Green about 2 miles north of Sibton.

Can you please give the details of William's marriage and which census you have him on.

I found a William Smith on Suffolk 1841 census: 1015 f39 p23
    Chediston Street? Halesworth

William Smith 1786 Suffolk. Quarry man?
    Sarah Smith 1786 Suffolk
    George Squire 1791 Suffolk. Ind.
    William Winter 1776 Suffolk. Lab.

Halesworth about 6 miles to Sibton, but its a stab in the dark because I have no idea who these people are!

I've had a look at FMPast baptisms but they don't cover Sibton - think the nearest they have would be Saxmundham which is 6 miles away.
    William Smith bap 3 May 1787 Saxmundham. Son of Susan sw (single woman)

Not much, but you have to start somewhere

Rebecca

Allblack

Thank you Rebecca. As far as I know he married in London in 1815 to Ann Brown. Not sure where he is in 1841, but in 1851 he is a widower in the St Thomas Parish, Stepney, MEOT, with two daughters, and in 1861 he is a widower living Bow, St Mary, Middlesex. He must have died between 1861 and 1871 but I can't decide which death cert to send for as its a bit of a lottery. So as far as I know he didn't stay in Sibton - but would love to know if there were siblings and parents. Regards
    Allblack

janbooth

Doing a search from SMITHs born c1777-1787 in Sibton, Suffolk on the 1851 census brings up 3 males other than your William. Daniel SMITH born c1781, Nicholas SMITH born c1791 and James SMITH born c1797. If Sibton is a pretty small place (don't know Suffolk I'm afraid) there is a good chance they may be related in some way.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be much information for the parish of Sibton online. Family Search catalogue only has the parish register transcripts from 1557-1753 on film, so that is not much use to you at the moment. Access to Archives website has a few mentions of SMITH in Sibton but nothing that would help trace your William's parents and siblings as far as I can see but do have a greater look in depth as I may have missed something.

Suffolk FHS are gradually producing parish register CDs but unfortunately Sibton baptisms have not yet been transcribed - again not much help to you at the moment.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Janet

Allblack

Thank you Janet for your efforts on my behalf. It may be a waiting game for Sibton baptisms to become available. The name 'Daniel' seems to run in the family so the one mentioned may be a brother perhaps. Unfortunately there seems to be no one else at this time who is interested in the same Smith family. Again, guess I'll have to wait until someone starts researching their line and it ties in with mine. Thank you again. Kind regards
    Allblack