Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Nicolina

Hel9478
    Pollington and Old Goole are not far from each other, so it is possible. I cannot remember a church in Old Goole, only a Chapel, so St John's is most likely the church in the centre of Goole (even nearer to Pollington).

I have found a possible clue or it could just be a red herring! Amongst some paperwork we found a note from the vicar of Holy Trinity church, Ripon dated 12th July 1930. It states that there is no record of John Cowling in the church records from 1865. So obviously he must not have had any paperwork for his own birth but had always thought that was where he had been baptised for whatever reason. I ordered the cd with the parish records on and could not see any entry which could fit with him under a different name or year. I know it's a long shot but would anyone have any ideas as to another place to look which might shed some light on this? It could be he was told he was born around there or maybe he recalled living there as a child and assumed he had been baptised in the local church I guess? Many thanks in advance

Name well known on Brit-Gen

#33 and NOT wanting to get toooo excited.

Thomas KENDALL is named with Mark HAMMOND as an Executor of the will Of Dorothy COWLING nee HAMMOND

1851 HO107 2380 378 15

Thomas KENDALE miner
    Jane HAMMOND niece housekeeper to miner 1828
    Dorothy HAMMOND niece visitor 1841
    Alice HAMMOND niece visitor 1

I'm of the opinion James Cowling, a mason, was a fictitious person. It wasn't uncommon for people born illegitimately to make up a father's name at marriage. If that's the case I'm unsure how we can progress with this search.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567