Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Possibly a wild goose chase - LEADER c 1810

I am trying to find the birth of a James LEADER and his father Rev. Arthur LEADER.

James was a colourful character that I found linked to the Tuson family in Riverton in the Southland district of New Zealand. He drowned crossing a swollen river in 1851. His father is reported as the Rev.Arthur LEADER of Eastbourne, Sussex. James was briefly married to a high ranking Maori princess.

James left England sometime around 1830 (according to newspapers reports of a Captain John HOWELL) on a whaling expedition to the South Seas.

So, I do not know his age at the time of his death but have assumed he was in his 40s/50s.
    I have looked at the 1841 and 1851 census for either James or his father without success. I have had a look at the Sussex OPC site again without success, so I am looking for some help and/or inspiration.

Thanks
    David

Brick wall demolition expert!

You could try the Sussex pages of GENUKI - https://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/SSX/

This has links to Family History Societies including one that is specific to Eastbourne.

Interestingly there are no Leaders in Sussex in the 1841 Census and only 2 in 1851. neither of whom are from Sussex.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    You could try the Sussex pages of GENUKI - https://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/SSX/

This has links to Family History Societies including one that is specific to Eastbourne.

Interestingly there are no Leaders in Sussex in the 1841 Census and only 2 in 1851. neither of whom are from Sussex.
    Thanks Megan - I'll give GenUKI a try.

I too was surprised at the lack of Leaders in the census returns, I thought it would be a reasonably common surname.

I tried familysearch and found a marriage of a James Leader to a Charlotte Dollman, 10 Jan 1824, Chichester, Sussex. A bit of a long shot, but may have worth checking out.

I checked the Church of England Clergy Database and couldn't find an Arthur Leader who served in Sussex or, indeed, any Arthur Leader serving anywhere.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I went into the Sussex data base, Eastbourne was hopeless, & when I keyed in Leader I got Loder & several other offshoots, so didn't go into all of the other areas. Leader gave no positive results.

Also tried UK Clergy lists, no Arthur Leader, many others tho'.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Thanks for ALL your efforts I really appreciate them.

I followed Megan's advice and contacted the Sussex Family History Group via GENUKI. I had a very fast reply from a lady but she couldn't shed any light on this mystery either. She did provide another couple of options to follow so I'll keep chipping away at this brickwall.

What I find really surprising is that LEADER does not seem to be a common surname.

I'll share this little snippet about James with you - apparently he didn't have any teeth and the tiny settllement where he lived in Southland was named after him - Gummies Bush!

David

pippycat

David

You may well already have this info - not exactly what your requiring, but it is about James Leader!
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=R...leader&f=false

Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    David

You may well already have this info - not exactly what your requiring, but it is about James Leader!
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=R...leader&f=false

Rebecca
    Hello Rebecca

I hadn't seen that, so thanks. I'll make arrangements with my local library to borrow a copy.

David

The Clergy Database only covers Church of England Ministers. Does anyone know of others for the other denominations? I only know of the Fasti for the Church of Scotland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast