ssunshine19

Default London postal code from 1926

Hello - My grandparent's lived on Woodstock Road in Shepherd's Bush, London in 1926. The postal code listed on their passport was W12. Today, when I look up Woodstock road, the postal code is listed as W4. This is still in Paddington, but now it's listed as Chiswick. My question is: Is Woodstock Road the same street today as it was in 1926? I will be in London next week and I want to visit the house, but I want to make sure it is correct. Why the change in postal code?

I posted this question in the WWI category by accident. Sorry!

Thanks for the help

-Sun

Knowledgeable and helpful

As areas W4 and W12 adjoin each other, it's possible that the boundaries have been moved.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W_postcode_area which states 'The boundaries of the area and its numbered districts have changed over time and are the result of the working requirements of the Royal Mail'

Peter

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thanks to an estate agent recently listing a flat to rent in 'Woodstock Road Shepherds Bush', I would suggest that Woodstock Road may now be called Woodstock Grove.

In the 1911 census Woodstock Road is listed on one enumerator's page schedule on the same page as Sinclair Road (where I lived at one stage. Though obviously not in 1911! ). And just to confuse matters, it's in the civil parish of Hammersmith.
    I forgot about checking the enumerator's 'walk' for 1911.
    Sinclair Road (both sides), St Matthews church, Sinclair Gdns (both sides), Richmond Road (east side from Sinclair Gdns to the "Duke of Edinburgh", which forms the junction of Woodstock Road), Woodstock Road (both sides), Sinclair Mans 1-40, Lodge, Sinclair Lodge Mans, Shepherds Bush Green from No. 5 to the Railway Bridge and all other houses within the above described boundary.

'to the "Duke of Edinburgh", which forms the junction of Woodstock Road' would seem to make it a cast-iron fact that Woodstock Road is now Woodstock Grove. https://
    goo.gl/maps/sxDr6
    The road name sign on the pub would indicate that it's been Woodstock Grove for many years - possibly as the result of bombing in WW2.

One thing you do need to be careful of is that some roads have been re-numbered since the houses were originally built.

Pam

Reputation beyond repute

I have the LCC official list of London Streets for 1929 and there were then two Woodstock Roads - one in W4 and one in W12.

Woodstock Road W4 is still there. The one in W12 (which is the one you want) is definitely now Woodstock Grove as Pam suggests.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I have the LCC official list of London Streets for 1929 and there were then two Woodstock Roads - one in W4 and one in W12.
    Is that the one that's on CD, Peter?
    Because I don't have a lot of research in London I forget I've got that, plus one with maps on.

Pam

ssunshine19

Wow. Thanks everybody. This has all been wonderful. How can I find out that the numbers have not changed? They lived at 15 and I see there is a 15 present today. My grandparents lived there with my great-grandparents. My grandparents came to USA but my great-grandparents stayed. They were Irish Catholic. Any advice about finding my great-grandparents graves, or at least my grandmother's. I'm not sure when she died. Thanks again. This is awesome!