Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

Sometimes there are transcription errors, sometimes there are errors in the originals. Especially in very busy parishes, where the Curate or rector did not write directly into the register, but instead had a notebook, and transferred the information at a later time.

Although the curate had a set amount of time in which to write up the register, it was not always adhered to and this is why some baptisms & burials (and some whole years of baptisms & burials) may be missing, and can also explain how errors creep into the registers themself, as they are infact a second hand transcription of the original jottings in most cases. I think marriages were different as the couple had to sign the actual register, though you may find some errors if the curate didn't fill in all the details at the time of the marriage.

So, going back to the problem you have, you say there is no marriage for a second or third wife...but would these marriages have been before or after civil registration?

If before 1837, then he could have married them anywhere other than the parish he lived in, and it isn't as easy to find a marriage if it isn't indexed (and most of them are not).

Also remember that a father did not have to be married to a mother to have fathered a child. i have just seen in one parish register a married man who also fathered two other illegitimate children by two different women, but not all registers are so descriptive, or make it so clear that the couple were not married.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thank you Michelle for your thoughts. This family has been confusing me for several years trying to think up new scenarios.
    I admit I wasn't open to the idea that the two children baptized in 1809 would be illegitimate. However I must say that Mary Cook the mother documented did have a base born child in the 1790's. A father was mentioned however it was not my Daniel Hudson..
    The two baptized girls were listed as Hudson so I thought that would exclude the possibility tha the two were not married.

I have been told that Boon is a very common name in Suffolk at that time but Boze is not mentioned at all. Therefore I still think Daniel Hudson and Jane Boon were married in Hollesley and the Boze bit in later baptisms was a misprint. That would exclude a Mary Cook as the right name for the 1809 baptisms.

Another strange twist... My 2xgreat grandfather was not baptized at all and an earlier boy sibling was not baptized at all. Only four girls were baptized which has made it all that much more difficult.

Oh dear....I am tying myself up in knots here!!

Everything took place in Kirton after their marriage and Jane and Daniel died there in the 1840's.

After your helpful comments I have now revisited my Kirton CD and found that the baptism directly underneath mine in question in 1809 is FARTHING with a mother named Jane, previously Barber.

Now Jane is what I am definitely looking for but could Barber actually be confused with Boon or Boze!
    This is so tantalizing. I have searched for a Farthing marriage with bride Mary Cook but have so far found none. This would confirm an error in the reversal of names.

As mentioned my baptism has mother Mary Cook which just cannot be correct.

I am writing Boon Boze Barber so many ways and just wish I could make it work!!
    Would thick nibs, bad ink a delayed entry or a slightly tipsy clerk make this possible? How about a Suffolk accent?
    Opinions would be appreciated!

Cancel the last post!
    Unfortunately I have found several previous Farthing baptisms with mother Jane.

I think this is definitely an indestructible brick wall!

Nicolina

I have a copy of Hollesley records that I can check for you. Unfortunately although they are scanned there are definitely mistakes.

Nicolina

10th April 1797 Daniel HUDSON, of Shottisham, single man married Jane BOON, single woman at Hollesley

Thank you so much. That would be great! Mistakes I believe!!

I have the original marriage of Daniel Hudson and Jane Boon in Hollesley.
    The mysterious part is that there does not seem to be any evidence at all of a death of Mary Hudson (Cook) after 1809 and before 1811 and a marriage of Daniel Hudson to a Jane after 1809 and before 1811. I suppose it is possible but a baptism in Nov 1809 with Mary Cook is not long before a baptism 2nd July 1811. Children of the 1809 girl are later called nephews of the 1811 girl. Possible I know with just the common father but still..... it doesn't ring true to me.

Do I ask the Ipswich record office to check the Suffolk marriage and burial index?

Yes..that is what I have. Later on Jane was written up as belonging to Shottisham parish and I think that marriage you had found says Daniel was from Shottisham?
    I am sure that is the right marriage.
    Then nothing till the 1809 baptisms however I have reason to believe there was another son George born about 1804 somewhere other than Kirton although could be Kirton because as I mentioned the boys were not baptized.. really odd.

Thanks for the marriage details. Nicolina ......No luck of any baptisms I suppose!

Wilkes_ml

Of course, there is the possibility you have two Daniel Hudsons, possible cousins to each other, married to (or having children with) two different women. this was quite common and makes it very confusing (I have a similar problem with half a dozen Daniel & Robert Rolfes all living in 3 parishes a mile or two away from each other and yet can not find the marriages for them all)

The fact that there is a big gap between the marriage at Hollesley in 1797 and the 1809 baptisms suggest that the Daniel Hudson who married Jane Boon, of Shottisham moved somewhere else after his marriage, and there are probably baptisms in a neighbouring parish (one that maybe isn't indexed) and that could be the same parish where Jane nee Boon died, and he possibly remarried.

Have you tried listing all the parishes surrounding Hollesley & Shottisham using Parish locator https://www.parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ParLocDL.html

and check which parishes are indexed and which are not. This may give you a better idea of whether there could be other missing Hudson Baptism, Marriages or Burials in the surrounding area.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast