Snowgoose

Default Hello from Cambridge, UK

Hi everyone

Was told about this site by a distant relative I'm connected to on ancestry.co.uk - it looks like a great for taking my research to the next stage.

I'm researching mine and my wife's trees over the past 300 years or so. My wife's side has gone relatively smoothly since her 91 year-old mother seems to have an amazing memory of her side of the family going back way before her birth - and my father-in-law's too. The main surnames on her side are Hill (her maiden name), Sparkes, Gough, Williams and a few others.

On my side, I have been able to go very far back on my mother's side as she's from the US. Like many people, I have managed to trace her roots back to the family of Pocahontas (but I'm told most Americans can do this!) and a few other interesting characters along the way (including a ninth great grandfather from Leicester who was also the seventh great grandfather to both US presidents Nixon and Carter - all the more interesting because my grandfather, Elmo H Conley was a lawyer who dug Nixon out of his fund crises in 1952 and I'll bet he never knew the familial connection!). Her maiden name is Conley (originally from Ireland - O'Connell), Kimball, Wilbur, Crabtree and a few others.

My father, who was British has been far more problematic in terms of his heritage - his surname, Whitehead, continues to be a challenge even after seven years of slog! I've got back to my Great Grandfather, Thomas Robert Walker Whitehead from Liverpool (1871-1948) and his father, John Whitehead (1844-1874) but due to his untimely death and an apparent second marriage to an Elizabeth Walker (b1828, Manchester - TRWW's mother) which I cannot verify, I'm a bit stuck, though will post details elsewhere.

I am an amateur reseacher and my time is limited, but I find it very enjoyable and have worked online mutually with a few distant family members and would be happy to continue to do so if I can help. Even better if people can help me too!

Looking forward to getting stuck in!

Brian

Welcome to the forum Brian

Have a good browse around (having a full cuppa is recommended before you start) and post your queries in the relevant forum.

Good luck

hallo Brian, and a very warm welcome to BG - you sound as if you will fit right in, as you are willing to help as well as be helped, which is fundamentally what this forum is all about.

This part is just for introductions, so I look forward to reading details of your various quests on the relevant forums.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Hatshepsut

Brian...welcome to the site...a very friendly bunch on here

gasser

Welcome to the forum Snowgoose..... Nice to have you on board.