Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Simply mystified why a "Lieutenant on half pay 1832" is described as a Captain many years later.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Nicolina

I couldn't find an article in the London Gazette about a promotion to Captain, so maybe he invented one.

A fountain of knowledge

It can best be described as an informal courtesy title bestowed by the people of Melbourne. He was a Lieutenant in Hart's Army list until his death. I don't believe he referred to himself as Captain, but everyone else did. But I suppose he didn't contradict them.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    I think I may have found something.
    1st March 1837 John & William, the sons of William Henry & Elizabeth BUCKLEY, were christened at St Matthew's, Ipswich (John born 28 March 1833 and William born 14th November 1835. The notes state that William Henry was on "Half Pay from the Army". So it looks as though he didn't have any other occupation.
    Hi Nicolina,

I've come back to have another look at this information you provided and on closer examination I see that because the two boys, John and William, were christened on the same day in March 1837, it actually widens the gap between when Buckley left the Army at the end of 1832 and is known to be in the vicinity of Ipswich. The Buckleys are really unaccounted for for five years, seeing I don't know where the boys were born. It *may* have been in Suffolk, but I don't know that.

They didn't seem overly committed to church rituals, because when the next child, a daughter Fanny Elizabeth, was born on 18 September 1838, she wasn't christened until 4 August 1839, at Copdock, Suffolk. The impetus for this might have been the need to deal with unfinished business before packing their household prior to leaving for Port Phillip.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to have a look for this christening in case Buckley slipped up and mentioned an occupation on this occasion?

Do the christening records have godparents mentioned?

With thanks,

Lenore

Nicolina

sorry but the only entry on FMP is from the GRO Index. No baptism info. I checked FreeReg (nothing) and the IGI. The IGI does have the baptism but no father's occupation.

Nicolina

should have added that Godparents names aren't normally included. Do you have any idea where his wife, Elizabeth CLARKE, came from? Could she be the Suffolk link?

A fountain of knowledge

I just don't know. I haven't come upon anything that suggests any connection, apart from them living there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12