SRCarter

Default A quick hello...

Afternoon everyone,

Nice to have found this place!

I'm here, not primarily for my own benefit per se, but because I'm in the process of tracking back my wife's ancestry. As such, I'm still pretty much a beginner in all things genealogical, but with a little patience and extensive reading, I think I've managed to avoid most of the classic "gotcha!"s that many beginners appear to suffer.

Because it's not my family (except by marriage of course), I've not dived in starry-eyed and grasping at the first records that come my way. I took it as a starting point that the family's mythology about itself was probably incorrect. A wise move! Because there's a Greek relative on her dad's side, the story about who it was, when it was, what he was called and how he managed to end up in Liverpool were well rehearsed - and largely wrong - in branches of the family.

Still, I'm now making headway, and discovering some interesting surprises. I have to say, however, that the nicest surprise has been the warm and open welcome from people doing the same as me - some of them very accomplished and with years of experience - who've happily donated their time an skills when I've been stuck (which is often!).

What a great set of people, and what an encouragement for a newby like me. I look forward to enjoying my researching and my visits here. Now then: back to pestering the Greek Orthodox Church...

hallo SRCarter, and a very warm welcome to BG. You are so right in several ways; firstly, of course, in recognising that this a great forum to be part of, and secondly that family legends are often grossly exaggerated and that you have first to establish the facts and work from there.

This part of the forum is just for introductions. Have a good look round and then post details of your mysterious Greek in the appropriate place. I am sure all the forum sleuths will enjoy trying to help you ascertain the truth.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

SRCarter

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    hallo SRCarter, and a very warm welcome to BG. You are so right in several ways; firstly, of course, in recognising that this a great forum to be part of, and secondly that family legends are often grossly exaggerated and that you have first to establish the facts and work from there.

This part of the forum is just for introductions. Have a good look round and then post details of your mysterious Greek in the appropriate place. I am sure all the forum sleuths will enjoy trying to help you ascertain the truth.
    Hi Sue,

Thanks for the welcome. Rest assured that I'll be up and at 'em elsewhere on the fora, as it looks like there's plenty to go at here, and, well, it's now a restful Sunday afternoon and I'm in the mood!