Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    I have just discovered that a Marian Louisa, daughter of James and Susan Saunders was baptised at Ellacombe, Torquay on 3 September 1871. BMD has an Elizabeth Jane M L Saunders registered in Sep Q 1871. This is the closest I have come to Bessie yet and I think is worth a certificate. Fingers crossed!
    Going back to this post, I completely overlooked your comment about "Marian Louisa daughter of James and Susan Saunders baptised at Ellacombe Torquay on 3rd September 1871" This is indeed the baptism that I was suggesting you look for! With fresh eyes, I see that you already have it, and now you know what she was actually called, and that she had to have been born between 2nd April (night of the 1871 census when we know she wasn't born) and 3rd September (when we know she was baptised) which reduced the search period to the June and Sep , and Dec quarters of 1871 ( I've added Dec incase they registered her birth late, which I think unlikely but they did have six weeks)

So yes, I agree Elizabeth Jane M L Saunders does look the most probable, worth applying for and specifying father's name.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I've just looked at the original of 1901 and I think the child's name could be Lily Landers. Compare "L" of Lily and "S" of Smerdon on next line. IF this is my Bessie, who had no sisters, the child must have been related to her husband, which would make sense of London as the place of Lily's birth.

Many thanks to all who have shown an interest in this thread. Your contributions have helped me greatly in sorting out my own thoughts. I now think I can make little more progress here and the next step must be to check out if Elizabeth Jane M L Saunders is my girl. If she is not, I may well be back!

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Is this Lily Sanders ?

1901 Devon census: 2058 f117 p12
    7 Cobury? Place, Torquay

Elizabeth Sanders 1846 Torquay. Widow.
    dau: Isabel 1876 Torquay
    grand dau: Lily Sanders age under 1 month. Torquay

No idea if this the same Lily in 1911.

1911 Devon census: PN12789 SN88
    7 Cospleigh? Terrace, Torquay Rd. Paignton.
    RJ Hicks 1864 Torquay. Naval pensioner/shopkeeper
    wife: Susan 1869 Torquay
    niece: Lily Sanders 1901 Torquay
    Married 20 years, no children.

Birth for Lily maybe: 1901 Newton Abbot / another one for 1903 Holdsworthy

Couldn't spot a marriage for an RJ Hicks to a Susan c1891 but while I was searching noticed the following 2 marriages:

Bessie Hicks with George Sanders on same page. Dec Q 1890 Tavistock

John Roberts Hicks and Alice Mary Saunders. March Q 1892 Tiverton

Rebecca
    Brentor boy has his Lily Sandors living with his (now married) Elizabeth Jane Stidworthy (indexed under Stidworth) in 1901 census aged 7 , so I don't think this is the same Lily ...getting confusing I know!!!

So we are looking for a Lilly Sanders or Saunders born about 1894-1895 London. I'll see if I can find the reference for this 1901 census entry

edited to add reference RG13; Piece: 2060; Folio: 113; Page: 3
    Last edited by Wilkes_ml; 24-08-2013 at 2:45 PM. Reason: reference

Wilkes_ml

Lillian E. Sanders is the daughter of Charles Th. Sanders. resident at St. Paul Deptford in 1911 RG14 Piece Number 2616 Schedule Number 470

Wilkes_ml

For some reason, Ancestry won't deliver on the piece number and scedule number, because when indexed, they missed the schedule number out. So search for Charles Thomas Sanders born 1870 Combe

This will give you the family of

Charles Th Sanders, Head age 41, Gas fitter S.M.G. Co born Ellacombe Torquay
    Mary Ann Sanders, wife, age 36, married 17 years, 4 children, all alive none dead, born Camberwell, London
    Lillian E. Sanders, daughter age 16, Book Folder, born Camberwell, London
    Charles J? Sanders age 15, son, barrister's clerk born Camberwell, London
    Arthur F? Sanders age 13, son, born Deptford, London
    John G. Sanders, age 10, son, born Deptford, London
    Eliza E. GROVE, age 63, Mother in Law, widow, Laundry attendant, born Bermondsey, London
    Lilian Grove, age 21 , sister-in-law , single, laundry maid, born Camberwell, London

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks - that is very interesting and encouraging.

I can find no Charles Thomas Sa*nders registered in Devon 1868-72 so "Thomas" must have been added subsequently. There was one Charles Saunders (1868) and two Charles Sanders (1868 & 1869) registered in Newton Abbot, one of whom was a brother of Bessie. Now to discover which, if any, was baptised in Ellacombe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123