Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

I was getting tired last night, but i think I found Elizabeth Jane M L Saunders with her parents in a later census...I'll have to check again.

Wilkes_ml

Ok, going back to the first post, you have Bessie with her father James and step mother Mary Ann in 1881 when Bessie is 10, and you mention her mother Susan dying a year earlier in 1880, but you don't mention them in the 1871 census, so do you have them in 1871?

If not, is this them at Ellascombe, Devon RG10 piece 2087 folio 45 page 81

James saunders, 37 born Devon Kingstainton?
    Susan aged 35, born Devon, ???
    William, son age 12 born Kingstainton?
    Frederick, son age 8 born Torquay
    James, age 5 born Torquay
    Charles, age 2 born Torquay

If this is your family, then Bessie wasn't born until after 2nd April 1871

Wilkes_ml

they are actually awfully indexed under LAUWERS and place of birth is given as Cornwall in index!!

Wilkes_ml

If this is your family, then this should help narrow down your search to the parish church of Ellacombe.

I think Susan's birth place is meant to be Moretonhampstead which is right next to Chagwell, the place of birth she gives in 1861.

Wilkes_ml

I think I ruled out the Elizabeth J M L Saunders born newton Abbott district in 1871 because in the 1881 census there is an Elizabeth J Sanders daughter of William Sanders b. about 1783 Kingsteignton, and again in 1891, Elizabeth J. Saunders daughter of William Saunders b. about 1783 Kingsteignton. I could find no birth registration for a Elizabeth J in 1872-1873 in Newton Abbott (the registration district for Kingsteignton) , the one in 1871 for Elizabeth J M L being the closest one.....but I could be wrong!

I was wrong, there was a Elizabeth Jane S Sanders registered in 1872 ( I forgot to put the wildcard in when I searched) oops.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks for all your hard work. Yes, the family in #12 is mine. no wonder I could not find them in 1871!

In Dec Q 1888, Newton Abbot an Elizabeth Jane Saunders married Frederick William Stidworthy. According to 1901 (Stidworth) she was born Torquay in 1871. Staying with her was a Lily Sanders, 6, niece. I was hoping to find Lily in 1911 living with her father - hopefully one of Bessie's brothers - but have had no luck yet.

KRGardner

A quick search on google

diminutive name bessie

Comes up with

Bessie is an English diminutive of Elizabeth or Bessandra

See my post here https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...963#post565963

Nicolina

Quote Originally Posted by KRGardner View Post
    A quick search on google

diminutive name bessie

Comes up with

Bessie is an English diminutive of Elizabeth or Bessandra

See my post here https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...963#post565963
    unfortunately you cannot rely on names being the diminutive of others. My great Grandparents were Tom & Betsy (diminutives of Thomas & Elizabeth). I spent years looking for a Thomas Cartwright - easy mistake but what a time waster.

KRGardner

unfortunately you cannot rely on names being the diminutive of others. My great Grandparents were Tom & Betsy (diminutives of Thomas & Elizabeth). I spent years looking for a Thomas Cartwright - easy mistake but what a time waster.
    I wasn't suggesting ' wasting time ' or rely on the diminutive name, but suggesting another ' alley ' to look down seeing as the original post mentioned that they were unable to find the correct ancestor on the BDM.

Unfortunately for you using the diminutive didn't work, or maybe fortunately for you it did, as you proved beyond all doubt that he was named Tom and not Thomas.

Genealogy is something that will and does take ' years ' and not a 5 min research, if it was then genealogists and websites like this will not be needed.

As an amateur i will take all and every lead/option that opens up even if it a 'waste of time'

pippycat

Is this Lily Sanders ?

1901 Devon census: 2058 f117 p12
    7 Cobury? Place, Torquay

Elizabeth Sanders 1846 Torquay. Widow.
    dau: Isabel 1876 Torquay
    grand dau: Lily Sanders age under 1 month. Torquay

No idea if this the same Lily in 1911.

1911 Devon census: PN12789 SN88
    7 Cospleigh? Terrace, Torquay Rd. Paignton.
    RJ Hicks 1864 Torquay. Naval pensioner/shopkeeper
    wife: Susan 1869 Torquay
    niece: Lily Sanders 1901 Torquay
    Married 20 years, no children.

Birth for Lily maybe: 1901 Newton Abbot / another one for 1903 Holdsworthy

Couldn't spot a marriage for an RJ Hicks to a Susan c1891 but while I was searching noticed the following 2 marriages:

Bessie Hicks with George Sanders on same page. Dec Q 1890 Tavistock

John Roberts Hicks and Alice Mary Saunders. March Q 1892 Tiverton

Rebecca

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast