Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Elk River

Hi, I'm Chris.
    Don't know if you're still researching, as this thread is a bit old, but I thought I should add something since William Woods and Elizabeth Bullock are among my ancestors.

I agree with the above posters, that the WOODS-BULLOCK family is the one you're looking for. Their children, as far as I know, were:
    William b. Oct. 2, bapt. Oct. 4 1804, m. Elizabeth Chapman
    John b. July 22, bapt. July 23 1806, d. Sept. 18 1899 (Ontario, Canada), m. Eleanor Hardy
    Francis b.Sept. 20, bapt. Sept. 22 1808
    Ann b. & bapt. Sept. 30 1810, bur. March 30 1814
    Henry b. April 29, bapt. May 8 1813, d. June 23 1873 (Ontario, Canada), m. Rebecca Clements
    Thomas b. May 3, bapt. May 6 1816, d. Aug. 22 1901 (Ontario, Canada), m. Margaret (or Mary?)
    Benjamin Collins bapt. Aug. 12 1818
    Elizabeth b. May 14, bapt. May 16 1822, d. Jan. 23 1894 (Blandford Twp., Ontario, Canada), m. James White Ellis (my ancestors)
    Sarah Ann b. May 14, bapt. May 16 1822, d. Aug. 30 1909 (Ontario, Canada) m. John Bullock
    (these last two girls were twins)
    As I think was already mentioned, the parents' marriage took place Nov. 13 1803 in Edgefield, Norfolk, England, where all these baptisms also occurred. The marriage witnesses were Francis Woods and Hannah Steward.

Most of these children immigrated to Canada, though at differing times in the 1830's & 1840's, and settled initially across south-western Ontario. Elizabeth (nee Bullock) Woods was listed with the family of James & Elizabeth (Woods) Ellis in the 1852 census, and with Thomas & Margaret Woods in the 1871 census. She has not yet been located in the 1861 census.

As mentioned before in this thread, William & Elizabeth (Bullock) Woods are in the 1841 British census, in Edgefield. Their ages are listed as 65 & 55, respectively, though it's worth noting that for this year, the census-takers were instructed to round down to the nearest 5 years, the ages of all persons over 15. So the family of Francis & Ann Woods, ages 30 & 35 resp., listed immediately before, likely represents their son.

The church records for Edgefield list the burial of a William Woods? (surname hard to read) Oct. 4 1844, age 70. There is, as well, a death certificate available from the General Register Office in this district (Erpingham, December quarter, year 1844, vol. 13, p.67) for a William Woods, likely the same individual.

Presuming that this death/burial was our ancestor, and that he was thus likely born around 1774, and further presuming he was more likely born in Edgefield than in any other nearby town, then there is exactly one matching baptism in the church books there, for Willm. s/o John & Mary Woods, bapt. March 27 1774. Looking at the other baptisms in this series, the mother was likely Mary Terry, John Woods having married her May 18 1769. Other children: John bapt. April 24 1763 (born out of wedlock), and Daniel bapt. March 6 1770. Mary (Terry/ Terrey) Woods bur. Aug. 27 1800, age 67. (The John Woods & Mary Wrench, mentioned earlier in this thread, were married in 1790, so could not probably have been parents to our William b. ca. 1774).

There are many presumptions in the above paragraph, so this ancestry is uncertain.

Elizabeth (Bullock) Woods' dates of birth and death are known more certainly from her tombstone in Canada (Rosebank Cemetery, Waterloo County, Ontario): Nov. 30 1785 - July 21 1877. This date of birth matches exactly that recorded in the baptism, Dec. 11 1785, in Edgefield, for Elizabeth d/o William Bullock & Elizabeth Collins. (We are fortunate to have an exact date of birth to match, since there were 2 Eliz. Bullocks baptized in that town that year). Two known siblings: Sarah b.Sept. 17, bapt. Sept. 22 1788, and John b.Nov. 6, bapt. Nov. 11? 1791 (likely not the John Bullock who married Elizabeth Bullock's daughter, Sarah Ann Woods. There's another more likely John in Edgefield for that, and he was born around 1821). Elizabeth Collins, w/o William Bullock, bur. Aug. 17 1794, age 37. A William Bullock, widower, married an Ales Hewitt, Oct. 28 1794, in Edgefield -likely the same individual. I have no idea what further became of William Bullock, nor who his parents or siblings might have been.

Mention was made in the thread above to Francis Woods & Ann White, who married in Edgefield Feb. 4 1774, and who were ancestors of mine (!). James White Ellis, my ancestor, who married Elizabeth Woods, was himself the son of Matthew Ellis & Ann Woods, and this Ann Woods, then, was the daughter of Francis Woods & Ann White. I don't know if the William Woods baptized in Saxthorpe, was a part of the WOODS-WHITE family (possibly), but the Francis Woods, who witnessed the marriage of William Woods & Elizabeth Bullock, certainly was. He was brother to my ancestor Ann Woods, and took the other witness, Hannah Steward, for his own bride shortly afterward.

As I don't know with certainty the ancestry of William Woods (h/o Eliz. Bullock), neither do I know that of Francis Woods (h/o Ann White). The two families were well acquainted -they both lived in a small town- and somewhere far back, likely related, but the connection isn't clear. (I do have info as well on the WOODS-WHITE group).

Well, this has been a long enough message! I hope you or anyone reading this finds the information helpful. I do have sources for all of it, and a fair bit on other groups of descendants as well. Leave a note here if you'd like to know more.

Chris Wills,
    Calgary, Canada

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Chris- I was interested to see that you are related to the Woods family of Edgefield, Norfolk. So am I. My great great Grandmother (Mary Anne Woods), her parents and family, emigrated to the Waterloo area in the 1800's. She married a Bock and one of their 15 children was my great Grandmother, Eliza Bock who married a Sinclair and they had my Grandmother, May
    Sinclair, who married a Jameson and had my mother, Clara Jameson, who married a Young from whom I descended...Jim Young of
    Oakville, Ontario. I'm wondering if you know of Mary Anne Woods in your line of the Edgefield Woods family?S

Elk River

Hello Jim, nice to meet you.

I have a Mary Ann Woods who married a Benjamin Bock. She was the daughter of Henry Woods & Rebecca Clements, Henry being the son of William Woods & Elizabeth Bullock, listed above.

I do have some information on descendants in the BOCK-WOODS group (from various online sources), but it's unsorted and unverified.

If you'd like, I can e-mail you a (large) document on the WOODS-BULLOCK group and a couple more containing the online sources.

For anyone reading this as well, I'd like to update what I said regarding William Woods' parentage. Above I suggested our ancestor was likely of the WOODS-TERRY family and less likely the son of Francis & Ann Woods because the latter was baptized in Saxthorpe. Looking further into the WOODS-WHITE family, however, I confirmed (via the Will of Francis Woods, ex. 1829) that they did have a son William, likely the eldest, who then might have been this Saxthorpe child. WOODS-TERRY and WOODS-WHITE are near equally likely as William's ancestor, the latter more likely because Francis' son Francis was witness at William's marriage.

So, for now I prefer to say the parentage of William Woods, who later married Elizabeth Bullock, is unconfirmed. His parents likely were Francis Woods & Ann White as Francis' son was witness at William's marriage, and it is known certainly that Francis had a son William. (If confirmed, this would mean for me that my ancestors, James Ellis & Elizabeth Woods, were first cousins).

Jim, I can, of course, e-mail you a document listing the known descendants of Francis Woods & Ann White.

- Chris Wills

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Chris-
    Nice to meet you too. Thanks for your thoughtful note.
    I am the great great grandson of Mary Ann Woods of Edgefield, Norfolk and Benjamin Bock whose family hailed from Lancaster,
    Pennsylvania, then Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada, then the Manitoulin Island where they were among the first white settlers of that Island and figure very prominently in it's history. There is a Bock family reunion in Waterloo, Ontario every two years. My cousin Pat and I attended the last one, last Fall and I was amazed by the amount of information that they have compiled on the family, including the Woods family. I would appreciate any information or sources that you have on the Edgefield Woods family
    and their ancestors. I am just starting to compile my family history and am enjoying the challenge.I gather that you have been
    doing this for quite some time. I am wondering how you are related to Mary Ann Woods and her ancestors?
    I live in Oakville, Ontario and have been Secretary of the Board of the Oakville Historical Society for a dog's age and really enjoy
    history, although I can't claim to have been a great history student in pre-university days...I think it kind of grew on me due to the influence of an uncle who was a school principal and a great history buff,
    So, Chris...again, nice meeting you and hope to have a mutual assistance pact with you in exploring family history.
    Cheers, Jim Young.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Again, Chris-
    Sorry, I hadn't see the long e-mail (above) before I sent my reply. Perhaps the above refers to the information you wished to e-mail
    to me or is there more?
    Cheers, Jim.

Elk River

Jim,

Mary Ann (Woods) Bock's father, Henry Woods, emigrated to Canada as did, I believe, at least 3 brothers -William, John, Thomas- 2 twin sisters -Sarah Ann and Elizabeth- and his own mother, Elizabeth (Bullock) Woods. My connection to this family is through Henry's sister, Elizabeth, who married James Ellis. Their son William John Ellis married Amelia Merriam, and their daughter in turn, Agnes Ellis, was my paternal grandmother's mother.

I have been doing genealogy for about 20 years, and I have more info on this Woods family than I've quite been able to deal with. What I wrote in the above posts is the short form (the WOODS-BULLOCK document I mean to send you prints to 60+ pages).

Contact me at:

cwills69

at

hotmail

dot

com

and in a few days I will send you the documents. Advance warning: there is a LOT there! (and there are many descendants).

Have a nice day.
    - Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12