Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: James SMITHIESj

steve18

Default James SMITHIESj

I received a Marriage Certificate from Oldham for James Smithies who married Sarah Evans at
    St Marys in Oldham on 4th December 1842.I was looking for his Father on it and to my surprise
    Fathers name and surname is blank ? Does this mean he did not know who his Father was ?
    Because of this my Smithies Ancestry has hit a Brickwall.
    Best regards
    steve18

Name well known on Brit-Gen

No it doesn't. He may not have known, but also he may have chosen not to give Fathers name if he was at all miffed with him.
    I have at least one where the Father is listed as deceased after a Family upset. I didn't live back then so cannot comment on it.

Other reasons also possible,..he was starting anew- his own reasons, new name or variation, or just plain didn't want to be listed with those he did know of.

do you have his birth year, baptism or have you looked to find possible birth?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Possibly, but not for certain. Remember how many people were illiterate back then and may not have understood the priest's question. Far from the end however. The 1841 census has a lot of James Smithies, and given the 1841 age round up, these are possibles especially as in two locations there appear to be son, father, grandfather lines all James Smithies.

Genealogy is really detective work, piecing together information, the further back you go, the more difficult it becomes.

I would look for the parish records of this marriage for any further information first.

There is a Lancashire Society, much used on this site which might yield some information.

steve18

I have his Baptism at St Leonards in Oldham on 23rd March 1800.I never thought that he could
    of fell out or been miffed at his Father.On the internet his birth does not give any of his parents
    names and I thought if I send for his birth certificate that would be blank too?
    Regards
    steve18

Quote Originally Posted by steve18 View Post
    I have his Baptism at St Leonards in Oldham on 23rd March 1800.I never thought that he could
    of fell out or been miffed at his Father.On the internet his birth does not give any of his parents
    names and I thought if I send for his birth certificate that would be blank too?
    Regards
    steve18
    Birth certificates did not come into being before 1837. Before then you are totally reliant on what you can find in the parish registers, but you need to remember that there was (a) no legal reason to baptise and (b) there were no set rules on where your child would be baptised. I have family groups where they chop and change baptisms between the parish church and non-conformist chapels.

steve18

Thank you I did not think that he could be illiterate.He was a Weaver,his Father also James
    was a cotton steam loom weaver born 1839.I will look at the parish records as you suggest.
    Thanks again
    Regards
    steve18

steve18

Thank you I did not know that Birth certifates did not come into being before 1837.
    Regards
    steven18

Quote Originally Posted by steve18 View Post
    Regards
    steve18
    Does that fit with his age on the marriage certificate. Was he a widow?
    A very late marriage, quite unusual.

steve18

Hi! On the Marriage certificate in the Age column it says Full and he was a Bachelor.In 1841 Census
    I found him Aged 40 born 1801 in Lancashire Reg District Ashton & Oldham and Parish Ashton-Under-Lyne
    Regards
    steve18

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Steve18, forgive my questions but I don't know that part of Lancashire, is this your James in 1851? Knowing if so may help to find a birth//baptism for him if we are sure of his age & birthplace.

James Smithies 51 handloom weaver of silk b. Middleton. (close to Oldham)
    Sarah Smithies 43 " "
    Sarah Smithies 20 " "
    William Smithies 17 " "
    James Smithies 12 " "
    Elizabeth Smithies 10 winder of silk
    Mary Ellen Smithies 1
    HO107; Piece: 2242; Folio: 534; Page: 11;
    Deaths Dec 1853
    Smithies James Oldham 8d-441

Sarah Smithies W.(widow)?
    Relation: Head-grocer
    born: Halewood, Lancashire, England (image reads as Hopwood)
    Civil Parish: Middleton
    Ecclesiastical parish: St Leonard
    Town: Middleton
    Sarah Smithies 53
    Mary E Smithies 11
    RG 9; Piece: 3027; Folio: 28; Page: 13
    The most similar I've found for a James in the area all have spouse & Family with him, one being the Master in a workhouse.
    Can you tell us please which is the one you found in 1841?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast