This Baptism may apply to the chap I mentioned above

James Smithies -Baptism
    Baptism Date: 23 Mar 1800
    Parish: Middleton, St Leonard
    Father: John Smithies
    Mother: Sarah Smithies
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

1841 Census (ref HO107 544 12/8 8) - SMITHERS

The name has been crossed through - could be SMITHERS or quite possibly SMITHIES - James is a Weaver. But next door are a John and Sarah Smithies - possible candidates for the parents of the James Smithies identified in post#11

The 1841 family transcribed as SMITHERS wd appear to be the 1851 SMITHIES family at #10 above.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Whilst not wishing to be difficult or offensive I have to comment that this looks to me at first glance to be grapsing at straws.

The James Smithies found on the census do not look like the James Smithies married in 1842.
    As I found on a census review there are a number of suitable James Smithies.

I think the author needs to tell us how he got back to James Smithies married in 1842.

The birth in 1840 looks right for James Smithie on the census but the James married 1842 could have been his son.

The 1841 SMITHERS/SMITHIES reference was intended to identify that James with a John and Sarah next door - all of which could fit the baptism of 1800.
    Wasn't treating this James as the subject of the '42 marriage.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Oh dear, thanks guys, I think we really need to chat with Steve18 & find out who if any of the above are definitely his people.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

steve18

H1! Absolutely Brilliant! Yes this looks like James Smithies Father John Smithies and he was married to
    a Sarah same as his Father.I have John Smithies in Merchant Navy Seaman Records 1835-1941
    Birth year 1800 MILITARY SERVICE But I wonder what conflict he saw? or was in? As far as I know there
    is a village called TONGE in Middleton and this is an Ancestral Village and Most of the people there were
    SMITHIES and they were Silk Weavers.There was also a Tonge Hall which set on fire a few years ago and
    Archeologists are digging around it at this moment in time.I have a William Smithies place of birth
    Tonge Hall in 1752 but I do not know yet if he was a relation.Nealy all Smithies were Baptised,Married
    or Buried at St Leonards in the Parish of Middleton.Some Smithies married HOPWOODS.I have a James
    Smithers born 1787 in Tonge who enlisted in the 1st Royal Dragoons in July 1804 who fought at Waterloo
    where he was wounded and taken prisoner.It does get quite addictive doesn't it? Again thank you for your
    help.I will now look for Johns Marriage to Sarah
    Best regards
    steve18

steve18

H!! As I stated earlier As I understand it Tonge was an Ancestral Village in Middleton and they were all Silk Weavers
    And nearly all the people were Smithies so it wouldn't be unusual to have a person with the same
    name living next door but it sure makes it hard if you are looking for your relatives as you could easily
    slip up and make a mistake and it would not be your Family Line?
    regards
    steve18

steve18

Hi! Raffaele, How I got back to James Smithies in 1842.I have John Smithies and Mary Loftus Marriage
    Certificate 14th Jan 1893 married at St Wilfreds in Hulme Lancashire on the Certificate is his Father
    James Smithies (deceased) who was a mill overlooker .There must of been a mill in or near Middleton in
    Lancashire .Mary Loftus I found her Baptism 25th Jan 1871 in Tuam in Galway.Her Fathers name was John
    Loftus But her Mothers name was Ellen Greahan I can not find a Marriage so I assume she was illegitimate
    but took her Fathers Name? a Mystery?
    regards
    steve18

steve18

H1! I have been looking for weeks for John and Sarahs Marriage I also posted it on Ancestryaid Looking for John smithies
    and Sarahs Marriage.I have found the Baptism you mention above on lds site and it says 23rd March 1800
    at St Leonards in Middleton James Smithies Son of James Smithies NOT JOHN ? and Sarah now I am looking
    for James and Sarahs Wedding
    Regards
    STEVE18

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast