Procat

Default Index Victorian, Edwardian & early 20thC British photographers

Still a work in progress but may be useful for those chasing early photographers or trying to date photographs.:

https://www.users.waitrose.com/~rodliffe/

maz1950

Thumbs up

I note that you note working on an index of Photographers mad you have said it is a work in progress. I have click the link but end up on a waitrosre web site. Have you a new link to this index as I am try to trace a Joseph Jenkins listed as a photographer on his sons marriage certificate in 1881. I don't know much about him other that he was Henry's father (Henry his son was born in Westminster) He may have been born in Wales and according to faily came to London to live with 2 Aunts that were also photographers possible Chelsea area. I thought you index may help me to trace him as he is proving very elusive.

Maz

Mythology

It's not Doug's site, Maz - he just happened to be the one who found it and mentioned it as being potentially useful.

The web site is by Rosemary and Stan Rodliffe, who are evidently no longer using Waitrose as their ISP, so have moved it.
    Their Rootsweb site gives the link to their "Index of Victorian, Edwardian and early 20th century UK photographers" as:
    https://www.earlyphotographers.org.uk/
    but there seems to be a redirect in operation, as when you click it you end up at:
    https://www.thornburypump.myby.co.uk/PI/

If the site proves useful (or potentially useful) to you, I'd bookmark both of those in case one of them stops working. The contact link is a "Blueyonder" address, so that's evidently their new ISP - whether or not they are using their free Blueyonder webspace for one or both of the domain names or whether they've gone for separate hosting, I wouldn't like to guess, but they seem to be a little unsettled so it would not entirely surprise me if one of the "new" links dies!

Edit:
    "whether or not they are using their free Blueyonder webspace for one or both of the domain names or whether they've gone for separate hosting, I wouldn't like to guess"
    Yes I would. The penny's just dropped - anything that ends "myby.co.uk" is a Blueyonder web address. So, they are *currently* using their Blueyonder web space, with a domain name which they have registered being pointed there, but they don't have it completely masked.
    Logic says that if they leave Blueyonder and shift the site elsewhere, they would arrange it so that the first link would continue to work and you'd get directed somewhere else, so that would seem to be the one to bookmark on a long term basis.
    Last edited by Mythology; 08-04-2006 at 6:37 PM.

maz1950

Mythology

Thanks for the help. I think the website may be useful to others although it doesn't cover the London area. They do offer a search service so I have e-mailed them to find out what it will cost me.

Thanks again

Maz