Eanswythe

Default Eatherdens (or similar spelling!)

I'm trying to locate the birth and family of Henry Eatherden born 1799/1800 and died 1838 at Ore. He appears in various documents as a tinker, a basketmaker, a vagrant and on the prison hulks, so I suspect he may come from a family of travellers and may even have been born outside the county. He is to be found chiefly around the Hastings area, although his marriage looks as if it may have been at Hythe in Kent. There are some other Eatherdens around who could be relatives (John born 1788 Midhurst, William born 1792 Merston and a Benjamin who is transported to Australia) - some of them are also basketmakers, and Henry's widow attended the second marriage of John's widow. This is a real brickwall for me, so all suggestions about next steps are welcome! (Eatherden is sometimes without the a, and other sound-alike versions of the name are all worth considering!)

Hello Eanswythe

Can you tell us the names of Henry's wife and children? Also John's wife? Any names and dates that can help us track down your man.

familysearch.org has a Henry Etherden married to an Elizabeth, parents of a Patience Emily born 1837 and a John born 1831 in Sussex
    but no idea if these are anything to do with your Henry until we get some names.

Christanel

Possible link to the Elizabeth and John identified above -

1841 Census - ref. HO107 1107 4/12 18
    Elizabeth Etherden, 35, Hawker + Margarett 15, John 10 and James 2, all born Sussex
    Address Tutt, St Clement, Hastings

Eanswythe

Yes both of those references are Henry's family - his wife is Elizabeth (possibly Mitchell if the Hythe marriage is correct (1803-82)). Children are Henry 1822, Elizabeth 1824, Margaret 1826, William 1828, John 1831, Marianne 1835, Patience 1836-1838 and posthumous son James 1838 - those baptisms I have for them are around Battle, Lewes and Hastings (William appears to be conceived while Henry was on the prison hulk at Portsmouth...). Henry himself died at Ore.
    Sons John and William could be named after the other two Eatherdens I mentioned above, who I thought could be Henry's brothers (cousins?) but I have not located their births/baptisms either - their details come from the census.
    The Benjamin who was transported to Australia could also be a brother / cousin but the first information I have for him is when he appears in court at Lewes in 1823 - he appears to be a year younger than Henry.
    The only definite link I have between any of the Eatherden men is when John's widow Barbara (Shearwood) re-married and Elizabeth (Henry's widow) was a witness.
    Details of the origins of any of the four Eatherdens would actually be something of a breakthrough!