Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hugh Thompson

Apparently it happened on arrival in Moreton Bay Sue, whoever did the bookwork at arrivals added a p.
    Hugh.

Since it's too wet to go out his lunch time, I had a bit of a play with this. I started with the trees on Ancestry, and then checked them against the records. WPT's parents were William T and Margaret Drysdale, married on 6.7.1821 in Glasgow (checked on Scotlands People). Using the IGI on Familysearch (you can feed it just a surname for the target, and the parents names), I found 3 more children for them, all Glasgow (note that b could be birth, as they say, or baptism):
    James b. 23 Aug 1840
    Janet b. 9 May 1840
    Margaret Jane b. 6 Jun 1837

That William's parents were William T. & Margaret Park, mar 1 Feb 1784 in Westerkirk, Dumfries. The same trick with the IGI gives, (all Langholm, Dumfries):
    Isabella born 10 May 1797
    Walter born 13 Feb 1795
    William born 17 Jul 1792
    Margaret born 10Jul 1789
    Alexander born 14 Oct 1786

With both families, there might be other kids as I specified the mother's names, which would not turn up entries where's the mother's name is not given. This came from the area of the IGI for data extracted from the parish records, so it's reasonably trustworthy. However, it might be worth your buying a copy or two of entries from Scotlands People - there was no specified format for such entries but you might get an occupation, and even the namkes of witnesses.

That should give you some people to track down!
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 15-10-2013 at 1:05 PM. Reason: diabolical typing

Hugh Thompson

Thanks Lesley, I had the births for Isabella 1797, Margaret 1789 and William 1792, also an Ann 1800 and a Helen 1803, but didn't have Alexander or Walter (although Walter rings a bell somehow).
    I'll have a look at Alexander and Walter and see what comes up.
    Thanks again.
    Hugh.

With my 1-place study, I've had a lot of luck with late 18th century people, born and wed before BMDs began, by searching for death certificates on Scotlands People. If the death was registered by family, you can get information about parents, occupations and spouses.
    You do have to be careful - sometimes the info is wrong (eg my GUncle got his own mother's name wrong on his father's death cert - she had died when he was still a child, and he probably only knew her as "mother").

Hugh Thompson

The trouble with searching in Scotland for a name like William Thomson is that you are never too sure if it's the correct William you're looking at, a bit like searching for Jones or Davis in Wales I suppose.
    Hugh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12