John Gage

Default Thomas King Ancestors

My 2nd. Great Grandfather was Thomas King. He was the father, out of wedlock, of my Great Grandfather, William (born Thomas according to his 1841 Census) Gedge, by Ann Gedge, who shortly after his birth in 1826, married a William Spurgeon. I have, so far, however been unable to trace the ancestry of William/Thomas' father Thomas King. Thomas King (if this is he) according to the 1851 Census, was born at Little Ellingham ca. 1895, he was still unmarried and was living at Great Ellingham, by the 1861 Census his details remained the same, but he was now living at Rockland St Mary. He died in 1865 aged 71 and was buried at Rockland. If his age at death is accurate, then he would have been born abt. 1794. I have found numerous Thomas King's in the area, but none quite fits this Thomas King. However I have found a King family which may fit the bill. Another Thomas King (1842-1795) married a Jane Ripper at Attleborough in 1765, the family then settled at Thomas' home parish of Great Ellingham, where they had at least 4 children, including one called Thomas, between 1767 and 1771. Jane died in 1779. Thomas then re-married, somewhat later in 1789, a Sarah Laiten and had a daughter Sophia, born abt. 1792 at Great Ellingham. Thomas it would seem died shortly after in Aug 1795 and was buried at Rockland, his widow, I believe ( details to be confirmed), died at Little Ellingham. It is possible therefore, if Janes son, Thomas, died young, as at least two of her children did, that my Thomas may have been born in the period 1794/5. This of course is pure speculation, so I'm hoping someone might be able to corroborate this idea, or in dismissing, come up with a more accurate alternative.
    Last edited by John Gage; 16-06-2013 at 1:59 PM. Reason: Wrong dates