ollie444

Exclamation JAMES SCOTT ESQ. OF BLOOMHILL

Hi,
    I'm trying to work out who the parents of my 3rd great grandfather James SCOTT are. James SCOTT was born in 1799, though I do not know where. Burke's records would have me believe he was born in Broomhill ,FIFE, Scotland. What I do know is that he married an Eliza NEWTON in Co. Antrim 1820.
    James SCOTT owned Bloomhill (different from Broomhill )in the parish of Tullyniskan, in the Barony of Dungannon, in the province of Ulster, in Co. Tyrone.

I have heard there are no census records from 1821-91 in this area, as they were burned or destroyed by the government. However, I recently came across James SCOTT's will. He died 06/05/1873 in Dungannon. The will also states that his eldest son Thomas Scott predeceased him. I am not sure if I am allowed to give the link to the source. The will mentions that he had a cousin called Thomas SCOTT Jr., residing in Rathfryland.
    Other sons I know existed are: Robert William SCOTT m. Charlotte Pike, from whom I descend, Andrew Newton SCOTT, named in the will, and James Hamilton SCOTT.

James SCOTT might have been a J.P for Co. Tyrone.

If anyone could please help me discover James Scott of Bloomhill's parentage and where he, and his parents came from I would be most grateful as this problem has had me stumped for awhile.

James SCOTT's wife Eliza NEWTON was descended from the NEWTONs of Carrickfergus. This I know to be fact as in James SCOTT's will it mentions other descendants of the Carrickfergus NEWTONs. Eliza was born in 1898.

I am also struggling to find who her exact parents are as well, I think her father is most likely to be Henry NEWTON b.1779.

Please could someone also attempt to find whom Eliza's parents are, as this is another problem that has had me stumped.

Many thanks,
    Ollie

Brick wall demolition expert!

Family Search have a number of James Scott's born in that area about that time.
    I have tried to isolate which one by the map but a number have baptisms which are just a mile or 2 from Broomhill

https://familysearch.org/

I searched for James Scott born Fife 1795 to 1800

Does any of the other information give the tiniest clue that might identify one of these to be yours

ollie444

Hi, thanks for searching,
    I have tried family search and Scotland's people and they have both come up with James Scott's born in Fife. The trouble is, if I don't know whom his parents were, I cannot tell if they are the right birth records.

Also, I would be interested if you could tell me what you think the location of Broomhill is, as I can not seem to pinpoint one.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Google map query of Broomhill, Fife returns Broomhill, Burntisland, Fife which is between Rosyth and Kirkaldy

There is an East and West Broomhill Road along with Broomhill and Broomhill Avenue.

I would think it suggests there was a Hamlet or Village of Broomhill at some time. I could not find anything absolute on Google but there are a lot of references to Broomhill in Burntisland.

ollie444

Default Update

Found out all of the Newton connections.

ollie444

Further Update:

Have now found Scott connections back another generation. Have also started a website called My Irish Heritage (excuse the awful website name). It covers some of the Scotts if anyone is interested, though the page is mostly theoretical. The website is https://www.myirishheritage.uk/ .

Ollie444

ollie444

Quote Originally Posted by ollie444 View Post
    Further Update:

Have now found Scott connections back another generation. Have also started a website called My Irish Heritage (excuse the awful website name). It covers some of the Scotts if anyone is interested, though the page is mostly theoretical. The website is https://www.myirishheritage.uk/ .

Ollie444

Sorry, the website page URL has changed, you can now see it under James Scott of Bloomhill

Hi, can I ask about Eliza Newton