Thread: missing father

annabel

Default missing father

i am trying to find the father of Edwin James Ward born about 1829 in Walworth, Surrey
    He is also sometimes Edward and was once Edmund

I have him and his 10 children in the census from 1861-81 and probably 1841 with his possible mother Elizabeth, stepfather and brother

But i can't find his marriage to Mary Ann or birth to confirm his mother or father. He presumably married before 1855, when his first child was born when he lived in Holborn and was a carpenter in all the records I have.

Would anyone be able to help?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Ancestry has a copy of Banns for the marriage of Edwin Ward and Mary Ann Hickey in Bethel Green in 1852. They don't have a marriage record but if you look in the civil registration index you find 1852 Qtr Jul Vol 1C Page 559.

Ancestry also has a baptism for an Edwin Ward in 1831 in the City of London, but to confirm that is the correct one you need the marriage certificate which will give you the father's name.

The 1841 census that you mention - it can be dangerous to assume relationships, because they are just not spelt out. However, I think you could reasonably assume that there was a connection between Edwin and the younger boy Stephen Ward. May be if you can find a baptism for the younger boy, that would lead you to Edwin's.

annabel

Thank you Megan. I am not sure about that marriage at the moment as Bethnal Green seems to be out of the area that the family were normally found in, although that does not necessarily discount it.

I have found a baptism for Stephan Ward in Newington St Mary. His parents were Elizabeth and James. I think that Stephan and this Edwin are brothers, but there is nothing to say that it is my Edwin

I have not found the baptism of Edwin that you have found, does it say the same?

annabel

I have found the marriage of Edwin and Mary Ann Hickey. Father is William and they are both what looks like melters. It doesn't seem to fit anything I'm afraid