Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    nikkastar

Phillip, I put Sheba's letter on the Rebecca Harris page on my tree. It has a lot of info on it. She is writing to my cousin Nancy. (Nancy is Isaac's great-granddaughter, Berney Harris' grand-daughter, Berney Harris Jr.'s daughter). Sorry if that is too confusing. Anyway I have some more things I can scan and I will try to do so. Regards, Anne

nikkastar

Phillip, I saw thus post as well and thought this Hannah was our Annie at first. But Anne married a man named David Barnard so it can't be her. I am going to post what I have tomorrow and see if it rings a bell with anyone. Anne

Default ABRAHAM HARRIS-HANNAH SILVERSTONE

Anne
    Gerry Newnham has a Jacobs and other family blog- you may want to contact him. The main query I have is this- having re-read the will of Michael Harris several times he does refer to Henry; Esther; Sarah; Barnet; Isaac as his children. I worked out the word was children in the will. So, why did he not give bequests to Abraham or Hannah if they were his children? Abraham Harris with Hannah Silverstone arrived in America June 1840- Hannah is a Harris. I have read the letter you posted on Ancestry Com which refers to Abraham as brother to Isaac but is this true? Are Abraham and Hannah other Harris relatives?

See also The Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo Jewish History - Rubenstein et al on Google Books, 2011- p263 refers to the Ezekiel family of Devon and Cornwall arriving inn the UK circa 1745 from the Rhineland. In addition, from The Morning Post Sat Dec 27, 1834 Bankruptcy- Benjamin Ezekiel Tiverton Devon Draper and Pawnbroker- he maybe the husband of Florence.

What are your thoughts about Abraham and Hannah?
    Phillip

Default JACOB SILVERSTONE-HANNAH HARRIS

Anne and Jacobs relatives
    Jacob Silverstone appears in 2 Old Bailey Trials as a victim. The first in 1827 identifies him as a licensed hawker from Poland. His wife Hannah is a witness in a later trial in 1835. Hannah and 3 children arrived in America in 1840 without Jacob. There is a newspaper article Berrow's Worcester Journal Thurs Oct 21 1847 which refers to the theft of rings and other items from Jacob Silvertone licensed Hawker- Worcester Assizes. This Jacob may or may not be the same person husband of Hannah but if so places him in the UK after Hannah and children had arrived in America.
    Phillip

nikkastar

Phillip, My only thoughts are that: 1. This may be a different Abraham Harris than mine. I have seen references about an Abraham Harris from a different family. or 2. Hannah may be a cousin not a sister. I now know she is not Annie because Annie married a Barnard and Hannah married a Silverstone.

Anne
    Sorry to 'press you' on Abraham Harris but do you have any other proof that the Abraham who is referred to in the letter is actually a brother of Isaac? Is it possible that he is Barnett and there was an error in calling him Abraham? If not, why would Michael ( Myer) omit him from the will- of course there could be a range of reasons I know but are there any other documents you hold which show clearly Abraham to be a son of Michael and brother of Isaac?
    Phillip

Anne
    If you take approximate ages from various UK and US census for the children of Michael Harris ( Myer) and Simmy ( Simha)- married in 1807 this is what you have: Esther m Joseph Baum b abt 1806/1807; Barnett m Rose Myers b abt 1810/11-died 1887; Henry b abt 1812 m Maria; Sarah b abt 1818/20 m Abraham David Loewenstark. These are the children mentioned in the 1845 will of Michael Harris died in 1848. Abraham Harris who married Bathsheba Ezekiel b abt 1819/20.
    Esther and Joseph appear in the 1851 British Census in Brighton, Sussex but the family arrived in US in 1856 and appear in the 1860 US Census in Hamilton Cincinatti Ohio.
    Do you want to set out on this thread what you know about the Harris lines but I note that in the 1947 letter the writer knows little about them.
    Phillip
    Ps Marriage certificates would prove a great help in confirming who relates to each other

Anne
    Just to up date your Ancestry Com records- the name of Michael Harris wife is Simha ( Simmy/Sima)- see Cemetery Scribes Person ID 3225 for her Tombstone photograph and Hebrew name Sima b Dov Ber married 31 Dec 1807 Western Synagogue. Michael Harris is Person ID 3006.
    I note on JewishGen Family trees an early record 2001 of Abraham Harris m Bathsheba Ezekiel with his dob 1818 and death 12 Feb 1883 and Bathsheba 30 Nov 1819 death 14 Nov 1911. Their children- Selina 1848 1928 m Moritz Sax; Benjamin 1850-1933; Florence 1851-1854; Annie 1854;Myer 1856-1903; Eve 1858;Henry 1861;Louis 1865-1905.
    I also note on the 1860 US Census M653 970 41 85 (Copyright US National Archives) the name of Lizzy S Harris 16 b England with Abraham and Bathsheba then Florence and 5 children from Selina to Eve all Hamilton, Cincinatti Ohio.
    Selina and the other children born Ohio. The questions in my mind is who is Lizzy and if she is a daughter of Abraham then was he married in England circa 1844?
    I am still unsure about Abraham being the son of Michael and Simha.
    Phillip

nikkastar

Phillip, the only document i have on Abraham is a census showing him liviing in Cincinatti with his wife,father in law and children benjamin and
    salina. He is listed as a clothing salesman. In a family tree given to me by a cousin, isaacs siblings are listed with a notation of the name Salina on the side by meyer. I always took this to mean salina was his wife. Interesting since many of isaacs siblings had a child salina as
    well. Im wondering if sheba just mentioned the american siblings. Other than that i have no info on abraham.

nikkastar

Phillip, i agree with your questions. I am perplexed as well. I do know abraham was married in england and came to the states first. However i am going only what i was told years ago and have no documents to support this.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast