Julie.Spavins

Default The Houlihan Family

Hello everyone,

I'm stuck on my Irish ancestors, and wondered if any Irish and/or Irish American experts could help me out

My Great Grandmother Ellen (known as Nellie) Houlihan Was born 1st July 1872 in Dumbarton New Hampshire. Her Birth Certificate can be seen on Family Search under Ellen Holihan, parents John D Houlihan and Julie Houlihan. Nellie was the 8th child (according to this certificate), the only name I am 100% sure of as a sibling is Daniel, who might have changed his surname to Holland as an adult.

According to my Dad Nellie was back in Ireland at some point to meet my Great Grandfather William Baines who was in the army over in Ireland, she then "followed him back" to England, and they married 17 July 1895 in Worksop. (I have this certificate!)

I have found several entries on Anc Passenger Lists but cannot identify which one could be Nellie coming back from the USA.

According to my Dad (again!) her parents also returned, and allegedly John Houlihan was at some point the light house keeper at Tralee. I haven't found any evidence to support this one yet.

Apparently the Houlihans originated from Castletown Bere in Cork. on FMP I have come across a transcript of John Houlihan marrying (possibly) Julia Houlihan in 1867 in Castletown, could this be them although the dates are a little strange for having 8 children by 1872, residing in the US?

I have searched Anc US census and I have seen several possible Houlihan families, but I'm really struggling to work out if they are "mine" or not.

The only definite I have is Nellie, who my Father remembers really well and he thought she was a wonderful lady, full of fire and a very strong willed.

Can anyone offer me any advice, guidance or suggestions?

Many thanks for looking at my query,

Julie

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Julie while you await the experts, I keyed in both Ellen & Nellie for arrival 1898 & 1900 . Only two choices really came up both for a Nellie.

Nellie Houlihan 21 c1873 arriving Queenstown, Ireland 19 Jun 1894 from Boston, Massachusetts. United States

Nellie Houlihan 21 c.1873 arrivng 4 Jun 1894 Liverpool, England from New York, New York, United States.

I have no idea which departure port would be listed for a person from New Hampshire, sorry.

A Jno Houlihan 41 arrived 1891 on the majestic, Queenstown Ireland. perhaps he went before the family. These times a to fit with a marriage in 1895.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Mark Holland

Hi Julie,

My name is Mark Holland and Daniel Holland (born Houlihan) was my Grandfather! He was born in 1875 in Dunbarton New hampshire and his father was called John Houlihan (sometimes spelt Houlehan) and his wife was named Julia on the birth certificates we have. I think Nellie, your Great grandmother was in fact Daniel's sister and we may have a birth certificate for her (will need to check with my cousin).

I was so excited to see your post on here, I just really hope this message finds you as our ancestry has been a jigsaw puzzle that we thought impossible to solve.

By the way I live near worksop!

Hope to hear from you soon

Sincerely,

Mark

([email protected])

Settling in

Not sure if this is a total red herring, but I used to work in London with a girl who came from Ireland - her surname was Whelan but she said that in Ireland it would have been pronounced/written Houlihan. Just thought I'd throw it into the mix - no idea if it's even true!