annew6

Default Passenger Lists to Australia 1875 ish

I am stuck and have spent hours trawling through records and no joy
    This is what I know. George Hall married Margaret Allen in 1873 in South Shields. Verner, their son was born in 1874 in Monkwearmouth, Sunderland. Their next son, Raymond, was born in 1877 in Victoria. When Margaret died in 1895 her death certificate stated she had been 8 years in NSW and 12 in Victoria. And I know I am fed up!!!! Any suggestions would be so welcome!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Could this be George:

Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923
    Name: George Hall
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851
    Arrival Date: 9 Jul 1876
    Arrival Port: Melbourne and Sydney, Australia
    Departure Port: London
    Ship: Whampoa
    Nationality: English

annew6

I found that - don't know where now but it's on a scrap of paper! but two things puzzled me. According to his marriage certificate he was born in 1845 and where are Margaret and Verner?! Would you expect records for them all?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Its on Ancestry. Its possible that they travelled separately, maybe so that he could find work or something. Or maybe the passenger lists didn't bother with wives and children.

Nannas

Hiya,
    Considering the year they would have arrived they were probably Unassisted and paid their own fare....which means little information would have been asked for.
    Maybe search by year and ship for just surname and hope to find a Mr, Mrs and child around the correct ages.

Nannas

cam15a

I just had a look at the Pubic Records Office of Victoria's index of Unassisted Immigrants. It looks like two brothers possibly (George 25 and Richard 27) no other Halls on that ship. There look to be quite a few George Halls (used Geo rather than full name) and Margaret Halls arriving between 1873 and 1877. If you want to sort through them and try to link them the indexes can be found here
    https://prov.vic.gov.au/provguide-23

Anne

cam15a

Found them.
    George, Margaret and Verner Hall sailed from Plymouth on 17 December 1875 on the Golden Sea for Adelaide, South Australia. (The South Australian Advertiser 23 Feb 1876 p.6)
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...&searchLimits=
    Nothing beats our wonderful National Library's digitized newspapers - and they are free!
    There are quite a few Tasmanian articles that mention Verner Hall if you want to search them too.

Anne
    Last edited by cam15a; 16-07-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typos

Nannas

Excellent searching Anne,
    I see they were Assisted Passengers to SA.

dian

Have you googled nsw.gov.au? Aust national Library nla.gov.au? Bth have lots of links