L Murphy

Default 49 Squadron 1944....

I'm trying to find any details or photographs of my Uncle Henry Roxby who was a sergeant in the RAF 49 Squadron at Fiskerton Lincoln around 1944. The plane was shot down on 2 Nov 1944 and all were killed.
    The other crew were: John A Rix, Peter Edward George Harford, James Baird Mitchell, Stanley Claude Bennett, William Oliver Shaw, Alexander McGeogh Findlay.
    I have Henry's flight log book which I find very interesting.

Any details, history or photographs of these men would also be interesting and a help with my project.

Can anyone help please?

hello,
    Well I have done a little digging for you and found that Sergeant (Rank 2nd Air Gunner) 1676062 Henry Roxby was killed when his Lancaster Bomber III PB385 EA-V (one of 798 aircraft ordered from A.V. Roe and Co. Ltd., Chadderton, to contract Acft/1807. 755 Delivered between December 1943 and May 1944) was shot down by a night fighter.
    From the super book 'Royal Air Force Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War' by W.R Chorley states the following:
    Lancaster PB385 (EA-V) Operations over Dusseldorf.
    Take off: 1616 Fulbeck. Shot down by a night fighter and crashed at Golzheim, 7km from the centre of Duren. All rest in Rheinberg War cemetery, six being found at Duren, while F/S Shaw RAAF was discovered much later during clearance of wreckage and debris from the crash site
    F/O P.E.G. Harford Pilot (Killed)
    Sgt J.B. Mitchell F/E (Killed)
    F/S S.C. Bennett NAV (Killed)
    F/S W.O. Shaw RAAF W/OP (Killed)
    Sgt H. Roxby A/G (Killed)
    F/S A.M. Findlay A/B (Killed)
    Sgt J.A. Rix A/G (Killed)

Also there is some great information on the website: 49squadron.co.uk look under the roll of honour and you will find information and the headstone to the grave of your uncle

L Murphy

Thank you so much for finding out all the information, much appreciated.
    Lynn

Happy to help and I hope you find this information of some use.
    Though sorry I didn't see this post earlier to reply to you
    Also would you consider allowing Forces War Records to scan/digitise the log book that you have.? They are always looking for great content like this book for the 'free' War Diaries they have on the website.

Loistiaxo

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFWR View Post
    hello,
    Well I have done a little digging for you and found that Sergeant (Rank 2nd Air Gunner) 1676062 Henry Roxby was killed when his Lancaster Bomber III PB385 EA-V (one of 798 aircraft ordered from A.V. Roe and Co. Ltd., Chadderton, to contract Acft/1807. 755 Delivered between December 1943 and May 1944) was shot down by a night fighter.
    From the super book 'Royal Air Force Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War' by W.R Chorley states the following:
    Lancaster PB385 (EA-V) Operations over Dusseldorf.
    Take off: 1616 Fulbeck. Shot down by a night fighter and crashed at Golzheim, 7km from the centre of Duren. All rest in Rheinberg War cemetery, six being found at Duren, while F/S Shaw RAAF was discovered much later during clearance of wreckage and debris from the crash site
    F/O P.E.G. Harford Pilot (Killed)
    Sgt J.B. Mitchell F/E (Killed)
    F/S S.C. Bennett NAV (Killed)
    F/S W.O. Shaw RAAF W/OP (Killed)
    Sgt H. Roxby A/G (Killed)
    F/S A.M. Findlay A/B (Killed)
    Sgt J.A. Rix A/G (Killed)

Also there is some great information on the website: 49squadron.co.uk look under the roll of honour and you will find information and the headstone to the grave of your uncle
    Thank you so much, Stanley Claude Bennett was my grandmas uncle and i would love to find out more about him. If you have any more information that would be great!

Hello Loistiaxo,

Welcome to the forum.

I see that forces War Records do have a few details within the database of over 8 million records about S C Bennett, though as his service record is after 1939, and currently still with the RAF. Look on the GOV.UK website to find out how to obtain his service record, see: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests...ervice-records

Also you will find more details and information on this following link: https://www.49squadron.co.uk/personne...tail/Bennett_S

if you get the time you could also view the Royal Air Force operations record books from the National Archives, Kew. These were created to provide a complete record of a unit from the time of its formation. Each book includes an accurate record of operations carried out by the unit including:

aircraft type and number
    names
    rank of flight crew
    names of passengers
    weather conditions
    flight/sortie details

These records can be used to create a list of all the flying operations that RAF aircrew completed. They are also an excellent source for building a picture of squadron operations, see:
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go..._dt=SQ&_hb=tna