Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    jenn2427

Default Marriage of CHRISTINA GALL 1863 SCOTLAND*

Hello Everyone,

I am new to here and would like to ask your help. My 2nd Great Grandmother was Christina Gall b. abt 1839 in Scotland. She was married in 1863 at the high Kirk, Glascow Scotland. According to the marriage record, her parents were Thomas Gall and Christina Davidson. I have no idea where in Scotland she comes from. I am having trouble finding her in the census. She emigrated to Canada. What I would like to find is her family in Scotland.

Jennie

From the information you have given it seems that her husband was Willam RENNIE? If so then you might like to look at the 1861 census for Danevale House, Kirkcudbright (Parish: Crossmichael; ED: 1; Page: 20; Line: 1) The householder is a William RENNY, admittedly with wife and family, but there is a 22 year old nurse in the household, Christina G GALL, born Ellon or Cruden in Aberdeenshire.

Maybe she married a relation of her employer?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

jenn2427

Hello Mrs. McKay,

Yes my Great Great Grandfather was William Rennie. I also saw the census that you refer to with a Christina Gall as a nurse. Although I have no way of knowing if that i her. I can find her in no census. I'd like help trying to find something about her based on having her parents name.

Jennie

Knowledgeable and helpful

I found an online family tree on Ancestry that has Thomas Gall, born 1842, Ellon, Aberdeenshire, son of William Gall and Christina Hall.

He married Isabella Rennie 7 June 1862, Cruden Parish, Aberdeenshire

I also found a marriage record for him in York, Ontario, Canada, marrying an Elizabeth Middleton, 31 December 1875. Despite the differences in the mother's maiden name, I'd say this looks like your Christina's brother.

Edit: a third marriage, also at York, this time to Elizabeth Pickering (date: 19 Oct 1887). Mother's maiden name is given as 'Wall

A quick glance at the censuses, and I see he was alive in 1911, along with his third wife, in Toronto West

Found them in the 1851 Scottish census

Cruden, Aberdeenshire

William Gall, Head, 37, born c. 1814, Cruden, Aberdeenshire, labourer and farmer of 6 acres
    Christian Gall, Wife, 30, born c. 1821, City of Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
    Christian Gall, Daughter, 12, born c. 1839, Ellen, Aberdeenshire
    Thomas Gall, Son, 8, born c. 1842, Ellen, Aberdeenshire
    John Gall, Son, 4, born c. 1847, Ellen, Aberdeenshire

Source Citation: Parish: Cruden; ED: 4; Page: 9; Line: 13; Roll: CSSCT1851_43; Year: 1851.

And in the 1841 census

Address: Mill Of Kinmuck, Mill Of Kinmuck, Ellon

Wm Gall, 26, born c. 1815, Aberbeenshire, ag lab
    Christian Gall, 24, born c. 1817, Aberbeenshire
    Jean Gall, 4, born c. 1837, Aberbeenshire
    Christian Gall, 3, born c. 1838, Aberbeenshire
    William Gall, 1, born c. 1840, Aberbeenshire

Piece: 192 Book/Folio: 8 Page: 4

Coromandel

Hello Jennie and welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by jenn2427 View Post
    My 2nd Great Grandmother was Christina Gall b. abt 1839 in Scotland. She was married in 1863 at the high Kirk, Glascow Scotland.
    A few questions about that marriage record:

- Where was Christina living at the time of the marriage? If a street address is given, have you been able to find out who lived there at the time of the 1861 census or in street directories etc.?
    - What does the marriage certificate say about Christina's father's occupation?
    - Is Christina's mother shown as Christina Gall m.s. Davidson, or just as Christina Davidson?
    - Who were the witnesses?

Also, have you found an obituary for Christina? If you're lucky this might give names of siblings, which could help in identifying her.

Sorry for all the questions!

jenn2427

Hello Cormandel,

All I know is that on 08 JAN 1863 my 2nd great grandmother was married at the High Church,Glasgow,Lanark,Scotland.
    I know nothing about her line of family. I have tried getting onto Scot's People but unfortunately am not able. A friend was able to and did not give me any details other than her parents as Thomas Gall and Christina Davidson.

Jennie

jenn2427

Hello T@yna,

I've looked into this but i do not feel this is the correct family. In the census of 1900, it states that my 2nd great grandmother was born AUG 1842 Scotland. And her father is thomas gall according to what my friend found on Scot's People

Quote Originally Posted by jenn2427 View Post
    Hello T@yna,

I've looked into this but i do not feel this is the correct family. In the census of 1900, it states that my 2nd great grandmother was born AUG 1842 Scotland. And her father is thomas gall according to what my friend found on Scot's People
    I'm a little confused, since you said she was born around 1839 in the first post. Also, census ages aren't always accurate.

Other than that, sorry, got too excited.

There are a lot of similarities, though; I think it would be worth checking anyway, to see if the family is related to your one.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast