lindarhead

Default Will of a person died in Edinburgh 1964

I have the probate entry for the deceased from Ancestry which tells me that although the person died in Edinburgh the probate was registered in London.As this is 1964 is it possible to get a copy of the Will in question and how would I go about it?

Thanks to anyone who can advise...

Linda

lindarhead

Many thanks, Peter,

Form downloaded and completed.

Much appreciated,
    Linda

Famous for offering help & advice

What Peter says is correct if the will was proved in London. However, I was recently looking into a number of people who died in Scotland where the wills appeared in the English indexes, but with the words "Confirmation of [names of executors]. Sealed London...."

I rang the Principal Registry for a bit of guidance, and (as I suspected) this means that the will was proved in Scotland, but because there were assets in England, it needed to be confirmed in the English courts as well. In these cases, I was told, no records are kept in England, and copies of the will and other documents have to be ordered from Scotland - in which case the PA1S is of no use.

Scottish wills before 1925 are at Scotland's People, but for later ones you have to view them at the National Archives of Scotland, or apply for a copy - see www.
    nas.gov.uk/searchRooms/copyingServices.asp
    This involves asking for an estimate, which costs £15; if the copies come to less than that, there's no more to pay, otherwise it's 50p per sheet.

Arthur

PS - sorry if this is too late for you, Linda; I was rather slow writing this and your reply appeared before I finished.
    Last edited by arthurk; 01-03-2013 at 7:47 PM. Reason: PS

lindarhead

Thank you, Arthur, it's not too late, I hadn't posted the form off yet so I'll
    do as you suggest because the probate wording you describe is exactly the same
    as the one I'm looking at.

Linda

Famous for offering help & advice

Phew - the good news is that I saved you £6, the bad news is that it will now cost you a minimum of £15. However, the estimate can cover up to 5 items, I seem to remember, so if you have a few other wills to enquire about it's worth doing them all together.

Arthur