grahamwilk

Default RAF service records

Hello, has any one requested RAF service records from WW2 period lately? just wondered what sort of wait there is?

Thanks Graham.

A fountain of knowledge

Hello Graham, I think the wait is likely to be around 6 months based on previous applications we know of recently.
    I know the army tend to be much slower however and the navy about the same.

I did it about 18 months ago. Well, started it. On the form it said "evidence of death", so as I didn't have a copy of Dad's death cert to hand, I sent a copy of his obituary (which included his RAF rank and service number). After a delay, I got a letter saying that they would only accept a death cert, so had to order a copy. The papers eventually came (I think, about 6-7 months after I started), but were missing a couple of pages (predictably the ones I wanted most, showing the bases we'd lived on when I was tiny). It took a while longer to get them!
    Take home message - there's no flexibility in the system, make sure that you have all necessary papers. And stock up on patience.
    It was worth doing though.

Loves to help with queries

Hi, my mother sent for her brothers service record in July last year (2013) and received them today so a wait of nearly 9 months in all! Hope you don't have to wait as long.