Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Reputation beyond repute

The information contained on the certificate is a matter of public record; it is the certificate itself which is copyright.
    Apart from personal data relating to living people, British BMD certificates can be freely copied and published (including on the internet). This has been the position since 2009.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...rtificates.pdf

mfwebb

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Apart from personal data relating to living people, British BMD certificates can be freely copied and published (including on the internet). This has been the position since 2009 . . .
    Thanks Peter -- I wasn't aware of that.

All the best,

Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

thewideeyedowl

There is no 'best' subscription site. You need to find the site that has the most data that is useful for your own research. I am currently on a 6-month sub, for BMDs and Census only, with UK Census Online so that I can find out who was where when doing what. Once I have this basic information, I will know about geographical focus, which occupations to research, and how much involvement there was in wars; and I may have a fair idea of what the religious beliefs and observance might have been. This sets the scene and I will then drill down through data on one of the 'big' sites, if necessary.

With any subscription site, you need to read the T&C and Privacy Policy very carefully. Payment is usually taken on a 'continuous payment authority' basis, which is much more difficult to stop than a direct debit. (You need to contact the site directly, in writing, to stop it.) You also need to be clear in your own mind about what you are allowing the site to do with the data that you might post there, e.g. a family tree.

Read the 'About Us' sections to find out about the organisation, e.g. the Ancestry companies all, eventually, lead you back to Utah, because the companies have grown out of the LDS [Mormon] researches. Find My Past is a development of a census site and Friends Reunited, I believe, which has undergone many changes and is now owned by a publishing company that also owns print magazines.

If you go to a site like Domain Tools and key the website address into the 'Search' box you will discover who owns the site, where it is registered, the name of the registrant, where the servers are, and much much more.

It's worth doing all this before you commit any of your money.

So, just keep your wits about you. Happy researching.

The Wideeyedowl

oxtaff

Checked out my local library yesterday. Local parish records transcribed proved interesting, funny thing - first volume I picked up opened up on the page of my Father in Law's Baptism _ spooky! Tried out the Ancestry and FMP searches, didn't have anything with me so just threw in a few random names. Found my GGF's family, his sister had a great job in 1891, she was a Sampler in the local biscuit factory! Think it was the Co-op in Splott, Cardiff. Might go back armed later today. Local Family History Society have a surgery there tomorrow so might pop in for a looksee.

oxtaff

Well as suggested I have been lodging in Abingdon Library. As I have been recovering from an op it has stopped me getting too bored by spending a few hours now and then on one of the two PCs with Ancestry and FMP access. No booking or time limit, if a desk is empty it's yours!
    Spend just over two hours yesterday tracking my Somerset branch, a classic Zummerzet name - Fear! I found the step family that raised my maternal GGF, not easy looking for Smiths in England! Best bit, which I realise I found many years ago but forgot, was that in 1881 my GGGM ( my GGGF had died aged 35!) had a full house the night of the census, GGM and her new husband (Richard Smith - Baker) my GGF, 3 musicians from Italy, two decorators, two milk carriers and a fish monger!
    So which was best?
    I preferred the search on FMP but Ancestry had one or two bits I wanted, if I was to subscribe I think FMP would get my money, especially as they emailed me with a 20% offer! I also had Forces War records offer me an intro £5 for my first month! Tempted with both offers, at least I won't have to dig up dead people (as my wife calls it) to the background noise, sorry singing, of the regular Mother/Toddler singing groups in the Library!
    Once again Thanks for your advice.
    Regards
    Mick.

Reputation beyond repute

I also had Forces War records offer me an intro £5 for my first month!
    Isn't that site a scam?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by oxtaff View Post
    I also had Forces War records offer me an intro £5 for my first month!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Isn't that site a scam?
    Have a read of this thread and you will see a previous discussion about the website. Of particular interest is post #7.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123