Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Irish Birth Marriage and Death Records

Find my past announced yesterday:

"Today is an exciting day for anyone with Irish roots: we've published 21 million Irish birth, marriage and death records on findmypast.co.uk"

"Coverage of the records is as follows:

Births: 1864–1958
    Marriages: 1845–1958
    Deaths: 1864–1958"

George Gamble

Many thanks for passing this on, much appreciated.
    George

Reputation beyond repute

Are these not just the civil registration indexes which are already available free of charge on the FamilySearch site?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Are these not just the civil registration indexes which are already available free of charge on the FamilySearch site?
    And at FMP trranscriptions only available to those with World sub not Britain

Coromandel

"Today is an exciting day for anyone with Irish roots: we've published 21 million Irish birth, marriage and death records on findmypast.co.uk"
    What a misleading description! To find out what these records really were I had to go all around the houses, eventually coming up with this from the Irish Findmypast site:

The records on findmypast are an index to civil registration. The full records reside in The General Register Office and can be ordered, for a fee, from that office. To order a certificate you will need the registration year/quarter, registration district and volume and page number provided in the transcript.
    https://www.
    findmypast.ie/articles/world-records/full-list-of-the-irish-family-history-records/life-events-birth-marriage-death/ireland-births-1864-1958

It's a shame they don't make that clear in their announcement.

There is some good news: their marriage search is supposed to bring up potential spouses . . . and you can see the year, district and potential spouses' names in the free search results without being an FMP subscriber:

https://www.
    findmypast.ie/articles/world-records/full-list-of-the-irish-family-history-records/life-events-birth-marriage-death/ireland-marriages-1845-1958

On the downside, when I tested it on my great-great-grandparents, who I know married 1883 in Waterford, it found both of them if I searched on the wife's name, but suggested incorrect spouses when I searched on the husband's name. Not a good start.

Reputation beyond repute

It's a shame they don't make that clear in their announcement.
    In my opinion, FMP have a bit of a track record in blurring the difference between a record and an index to the record.

In one of their TV shows that I managed to sit through for more than five minutes, their 'genealogist' routinely points to something like the GRO marriage index and announces "there's the record of their marriage". No it isn't! That's an index to the record of their marriage!

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I know that most of you are aware, the indexes have been available on Ancestry for quite a while already, for those that don't subscribe to FMP.

Steve.