Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default WHO WAS SUSANNA?

A lady - known to me only as SUSANNA - had 6 children fathered by my 4X Gt-Grandfather Thomas Ball.

The 1st was baptised as John on 22 November 1784 and the 6th was baptised as Susanna on 31 January 1797.

She died and was buried - at age 50 - on 11 September 1810.

All baptisms and her burial took place in St. Keverne

I want to believe - but also acknowledge the possibity, otherwise - that she married Thomas in St. Keverne sometime between 1780 and 1784. A record of such an event I cannot find.

Without a surname I cannot trace her baptism and as she is my 4X Gt-Grandmother, I would like to know more about her.

When her husband died, in October 1820, also in St. Keverne, he was indicated on the burial record of 1 November 1820 as a Pauper.

Thanks for any help that may be forthcoming.

Colin

Coromandel

Have you ruled out the marriage of Thomas Ball and Susanna Wills at Maker on 5 Dec. 1781? See information supplied by Nankervis in post #3 of your thread on Ann Ball:

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...verne-Cornwall

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Have you ruled out the marriage of Thomas Ball and Susanna Wills at Maker on 5 Dec. 1781? See information supplied by Nankervis in post #3 of your thread on Ann Ball:

Thank you for reminding me.

Sorry to be such a

Colin

Coromandel

No worries . . . I had forgotten about the previous thread too. Once things slip off the 'Today's Posts' board I tend to forget all about them. I thought we had lots of spare brain capacity but mine seems to be so full that any new bit of information displaces something else.

Colin Rowledge

Default What was Susanna Ball's maiden name?

Not sure if this has been answered before, but I am suffering a bit of "Brain-Drain" and if it has please nurture me with kindness.

Thomas Ball was born in Gerrans and baptised there 31 January 1762.

Thomas and his wife - Susanna - had 6 children - all born and baptised in St. Keverne between 22 November 1784 and 31 January 1797. One of thos children - Ann - is my 3X gt-grandmother.

A Susanna Ball - wife of Thomas - died in St. Keverne and was buried 11 Sptember 1810. Her age is stated as 50. This information was obtained from the Cornwall OPC site.

A short while later - 27 October 1811 - a Thomas Ball [a widower] married Jane Champion [a spinster] in St. Keverne. While there are no ages indicated from the marriage register from Cornwall OPC, I think Thomas was aged about 50 and Jane of a similar age as I have not found any children of that union.

Thomas was a Pauper when he died and was a resident of Longmeadow Lane. He was aged 59 when he died and was buried 1 November 1820.

From public trees all state Thomas married Susanna and 1 said her surname was Wills. This one stated the marriage was in Maker, Cornwall on 5 December 1781. To me, it seems inconceivable that given the place of the baptism of Thomas [Gerrans] and where the family lived, baptised their children and died [St. Keverne] is just to darned far away to be the right one.

Assuming she wasn't the Miss Wills, who was the Susanna he married and where was she from?

Colin

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Not sure if this has been answered before
    As the question has already been asked on a previous thread, I have merged the two together so that people can see what has been discussed before.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post

Thank you, Jan, for linking these threads - I did say I was suffering a "Brain Drain".

Is it possible that somehow in 1781, Thomas could either a] have been working so far away from where he was baptised, b] if not working in Maker, how could he have known Susanna and married her there and c] how did they get further away from Maker [St. Keverne where the children were baptised?

Colin Rowledge

Looking at post #7 on the linked thread, her baptism in St. Keverne in 1766 is possible if she was about 6 years old when baptised.

The 80 or so miles [by todays roads] is not an insurmountable distance, particularly if at the time of the marriage Thomas and his family or an oppotunity for work brought him there.

Should I consider this now as definte possibility?

MythicalMarian

My own gut feeling, Colin, is that 80 miles is too large a radius. Certainly keep a note of that marriage, but it's more likely that your Susanna was from a much nearer parish, and its registers may not have found their way onto Family Search or other online repository. I would want to search all parishes within a 10, then 20 mile radius first before venturing so far afield.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    My own gut feeling, Colin, is that 80 miles is too large a radius. Certainly keep a note of that marriage, but it's more likely that your Susanna was from a much nearer parish, and its registers may not have found their way onto Family Search or other online repository. I would want to search all parishes within a 10, then 20 mile radius first before venturing so far afield.
    Maybe a stupid question - and I've tons more - is how do I check this from Canada? I have no idea of the parishes 10-20 miles around St. Keverne.

Colin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast