Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sending Gedcom

jac65

Hi

Does your friend have FTM and is it a version that would recognise a FTM 2011 datafile? If she does then you would either need to burn to a DVD or copy to a USB and send by snail mail. Once you start including multimedia it is going to be far to big for email.

If your friend does not have FTM then you would need to create a GEDCOM which can be opened using most Family History software but that wouldn't include multimedia. To send support documentation you would need to burn to a DVD or copy to USB and send by snail mail.

The other option is to use Cloud Storage as suggested by Ken_R in previous post.

Andy

Famous for offering help & advice

I've discovered that GEDCOM files can be shrunk quite dramatically by zipping them. Using Windows (right click and Send to...) to create a .zip file, the resulting file size for me is about 16% of the original. However, I mostly use a free program called 7Zip, and using its own .7z format, they're not much more than 10% of the original.

However... this is with text-only GEDCOMs produced by another program; if the FTM ones include media files the results will almost certainly be different. And whatever you use, if the file is still too big to email, you'll either have to upload it to the cloud for them to access, or create a CD/DVD and send it in the post (remember that? ).

Arthur

Dizzy600

Hi All,

So much good advice and I'm sure one way or another I will be able to send it thanks to the advice given.

Thanks again
    Karen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12