Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Wills High Holborn

I am trying to get a will for someone who died in 1997. I only know the date and place of birth.
    Is it worth me going to High Holborn to try and find a copy of a will. If it is possible, can anyone tell me the quickest way of getting it. The web site is not very clear.
    With thanks ELMA

Reputation beyond repute

Is it worth me going to High Holborn to try and find a copy of a will
    No great problem from Sutton, surely. In any case, it's presumably your nearest registry as well as being the only place with a complete set of calendars.

The one hour service has been discontinued. If you order at High Holborn I think it takes a week or 10 days to arrive by post but is quicker than using Leeds. I believe there's a 48 hour service if you're prepared to go back to First Avenue House to pick it up. I haven't been there recently so may not be totally up to date.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks Peter for that information. I was wondering how recent wills fit into it. I remember being told once, many years ago that once you have died your will is public, no closure period. Is that the case?
    Thank you, you are always so helpful.
    ELMA

Reputation beyond repute

Wills are public records once they've been proved. The one you want is around 15 years old, so no problem there.