Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    secretary-again

Default Lepper/Harper Family, Ontario, Canada

Hi
    Am helping a friend who has hit the brick wall! He is searching for the family of Charles Stanley Lepper, born 1931 in Toronto and died 2010 in Dorothy Ley Hospice. He was the son of Charles Lepper and Miriam (nee Harper); Miriam was born 1897 in Denton, nr Manchester, England and was the daughter of John Henry Harper and Annie (Hauge Lowe). Can anybody help with information about either the Harper or the Lepper families, please?
    Thanks, take care

Brick wall demolition expert!

Miriam Harper:

1901 Census - 89, Coppice Road, Nottingham
    Piece: 3175 Folio: 137 Page: 5

With her parents and 7 siblings; the oldest being born 1889. All except her father had been born in Denton, and the family can only just have moved to Nottingham as the youngest child is only 10 months old. Her father, an assurance agent, was born in Ardwick in 1866.

However, her mother is listed as “Mary H” rather than “Annie”, and she was born in 1862.

Working backwards from this:
    1891 Census: John Hy and his wife and 2 daughters are living at 7, Ashton Road, Denton, and he is a Hatter. His wife is listed as “Nanny H”.

Piece: 3284 Folio: 58 Page: 1

The Marriage Index shows that John Henry Harper married Nanny Hague Lowe 1887 Qtr Jul Ashton under Lyne.

Harper is a relatively common surname, but I believe that I have identified him in the 1881 Census working as a hatter and living with his father and siblings at 6, Acre Street, Denton

Piece: 4046 Folio: 38 Page: 3
    This gives his father as Thomas born 1841 at Holmfirth, Yorkshire.

Based on that in 1871 the family were living at Junction Street, Manchester
    Piece: 4031 Folio: 132 Page: 29

His mother was Mary. The only “fly in the ointment” is that the census says that Thomas was born in Lancashire.

There is a possible marriage for Thomas and Mary in 1862 in Manchester, and if this is a correct identification then she was Mary Hadfield.

I haven’t been able to find an earlier census for Miriam’s mother. There is a birth of a Nanny Lowe in 1860 in Ashton under Lyne, which could be her.

I would get the marriage certificates and see what additional information they provide.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Was Charles Lepper British born?

RonOne

Miriam Harper
    (Gender transcribed as Male?)
    Born: 27 Dec 1896
    Baptised: 24 Jan 1897 at Christ Church, Denton, Lancashire
    Parents: John Henry Harper & Annie Hague
    Source: Family Search

Possible Birth registration:
    Births Mar 1897
    HARPER Miriam - Ashton 8d 548
    (Denton was a sub-district of the Ashton registration district)

CheshireBMD has Births 1897:
    Miriam HARPER - Sub-District: Denton - mother's maiden name LOWE

secretary-again

Thank you both; we have the earlier information before the family went to Canada and it is more recent information (i.e. post-2000) that he requires.
    Charles Lepper and Miriam were married in 1922 in Toronto. Charles Lepper was living in Calgarry during WW1 and returned to Toronto in order to enlist. We do not know where he was born; his next of kin on his enlistment papers was his brother; after he married Miriam they were listed as living at Living at 990 St Clarens Ave., Toronto.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by secretary-again View Post
    .... searching for the family of Charles Stanley Lepper, born 1931 in Toronto and died 2010 in Dorothy Ley Hospice.
    ... it is more recent information (i.e. post-2000) that he requires.
    I am sorry, but details of living - or potentially living - people are not permitted on the forum.

I would sugest that your friend searches for living relatives on a website such as Genes Reunited, for example.

secretary-again

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    I am sorry, but details of living - or potentially living - people are not permitted on the forum.

I would sugest that your friend searches for living relatives on a website such as Genes Reunited, for example.
    Is it not possible for somebody to contact me via a private message if they do have recent information; Charles died in 2010 and from the death notice there is no indication of his descendants. My friend has written to the Funeral Director and asked for the letter to be forwarded to Charles' family but no response has been received? There is no response on Genes Reunited or on any Message Boards, am I allowed to put my e-mail address for further information, please?

DianaCanada

Ontario civil records are found on Ancestry**. The marriage records shows that Charles was born in Toronto, the son of Arthur Lepper and Charlotte Whittington. Miriam's mother's name is given as Annie Lowe. Charles is Church of England, so probably English in background if not parentage.
    The Births index gives the same parents names and he was born 14 Oct 1899, Toronto (York County).
    The 1901 census shows 2 year old "Charlie" with his parents and 8 older siblings in Toronto. Father Arthur was born in Ireland in 1855, came to Canada in 1858, Church of England. Mother born in Ontario 1859, of English background, Church of England.
    As Charles had a large number of older siblings, maybe some information could be obtained by looking for their descendants.

DianaCanada

There is also a short obituary for Charles Stanley Lepper online - just google his full name.

Jan1954

Is it not possible for somebody to contact me via a private message if they do have recent information
    With the information already within this thread, that should be possible.
    ...am I allowed to put my e-mail address for further information, please?
    If you do, I would advise you to munge it like this: john DOT smith AT gmail DOT com otherwise you will be laying yourself open to spammers.

However, do check out the hint that DianaCanada gave you in post #9 above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast