lawsue

Default My convicts have found a permanent home.

I would like to thank everyone for the help given me in my search
    I posted some time ago a query on the "Pettett and Geage" families. As it turned out the surname "Geage" was actually Seago and was a mistranscription.
    After lots of hard work my Caroline Storey nee Seago, convict from Lambeth, Surrey turned out to be, correctly, the mother of my husbands g-grandmother.
    Both her and her husband, Alfred Pettit, convicted Drummondville, Canada, have now been listed on the Tasmania convict list and Caroline has been accepted in a research group "Founders and Survivors". This research is studying the health and life outcomes of convicts and their descendants through the years, in particular those convicts whose sons and grandsons enlisted in WW1.
    It was lots of hard slog but well worth it in the end.
    Thank you again
    Sue

Jan1954

That is great news, Sue. I do love a happy ending.

For those who wish to read the background, Sue's original thread about the "Pettett and Geage" families is here.

spison

What a great outcome Sue! "Founders and Survivors" has interesting aims doesn't it?

Jane

lawsue

Thank you both.
    Until the other day I had no idea of the Founders and Survivors Research. I only found the group accidently whilst trying to correct some information that another had given in relation to "my" convict. So I really had to prove my claim to them. The other researcher had "my" convict "bringing forth" children in 1873. She was born in 1816 for heavens sake.
    It has led me to an interest in the women at Cascades female factory and the plight of those little babies born there. In particular one Emma Storey born and dying there at 4 months of age from malnutrition. One third of those little people suffered the same way. These stories are also far too common and should never had happened. But they did.
    Sue

sueannbowen

Good tale Sue and thanks to Jan for posting the background. Did she go straight once she arrived? I have no felons in my tree (so far) which is a bit boring. A juicy murder would spice things up a bit and make a change from Ag Labs