louann

Default Letters from the 1860's

Hello All
    I think this belongs in the "success stories"!
    Last year I was given a box of papers by my elderly uncle when he discovered I was investigating the family tree. In it, amongst other treasures, were over two dozen letters to my GG uncle from various people over a period from 1858 - 1872. They provide a snapshot of the hard (and joyous) times in early Australia describing the goldrush era, rural life, who was emigrating on what boat etc. I have spent time transcribing, scanning and organising them. Then I thought, how wonderful would it be to have a letter from an ancestor, it would bring so much life to the sometime bare facts of birth, marriage and deaths we gather. So I used the wonderful web to search for descendants who were interested in genealogy and am now corresponding with two G grandsons of just one scribe (there are numerous others I have not even looked for yet). The descendants live in USA and Australia and are very happy to receive scans and transcriptions of the letters when I can manage it between parenting, work etc.
    Louise
    PS So much for archive safe boxes - the cardboard boxes were obviously stored in the right conditions for the 50 years my uncle had them, (in the shed) as there was no damage to the papers whatsoever!

That is a wonderful success story! I am lucky in that I have a tin box that belonged to my grandmother and it contains photographs of her parents and my grandfather's parents and loads of people from their families. There were also a couple of letters and to be able to read something written all those years ago by a person that was just a name on a list of children is just fantastic.
    Oh and good on you for searching for descendants! I think that's wonderful.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

terrysfamily

Quote Originally Posted by louann View Post
    Hello All
    I think this belongs in the "success stories"!
    It most certainly does.

Oh for half your luck. I know for a fact, with my family, that when other family members (the older generation) die their family usually burn these sort of documents. I have been researching for about 15 years and haven't had even one document handed to me (even though they know what I do).

Although, to be fair, when I go I know that my brothers and sisters will do the same with my research. They have no interest whatsoever in the subject.

My Dad will only bring the subject up when he has his brother or sisters visit any other time he's not really interested.

My Mum, God bless her, was the only one who took any interest in it.

But at the end of the day it keeps me happy and out of mischief so that's fine with me (and maybe the police ).

You are sooo lucky

Terry

Ps. Ladkyis, when I hear of my family burning documents I'm fluent in Profanity too

Isambard

Photographs from old family albums also tell stories, but better if accompanied by names, places, dates and other information. One of my relatives holds a family album from the late 1800's that holds many fine photos of the Quick families and relatives in Cornwall and Ballarat, Australia, unfortunately the majority lacking any names or other information. I have 28 of these photos on Photobucket, send me a PM if anyone is interested is seeing them.

thecouch

Very exciting louann. How wonderful of you to attempt to 'share the wealth' with so many of those folks who are descendents of the letter writers! Good on you. If you ever decide to share the letters on line in a general history sense, let us know how to find them as it would be great to have a chance to read them. Very exciting indeed!

Cheers,
    thecouch :-)