forestlea65

Default Local papers -Clearwell area 1882-4

Does anyone know if there was a local weekly/daily newspaper that covered the Clearwell district in the Forest of Dean in the early 1880s? I am particularly interested in information of the BAKER family from Clearwell. George Baker was a miner in Clearwell, would that be have been coal mining or possibly iron mining. I'm also looking for any information on George's son, Richard Baker, who died in 1883 at the age of 28yrs, The 1881 census shows him as being in hospital in London prior to his death in Clearwell.

Any information on Richard, or his parents George and Sarah would be welcomed.

Many thanks -
    Forestlea

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I know that on the British Library site there is a section whereby you can type in a town and it will tell you which local papers were printed and the years they were printed. However the BL are a complete pain in the butt because they seem to change their site every year so each time I want to find the relevant page I waste half a day searching.
    It would therefore seem sensible to invest in this book - Local Newspapers 1750-1920
    (Ah, just spotted that there is a caveat that newspapers which were printed for less than four years are omitted from the book.)

Pam

Coromandel

Gloucestershire Archives produces a useful guide to newspapers:

https://www.
    gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=24402&p=0

forestlea65

Thanks Pam much appreciated.

forestlea65

Thanks Coromandel for the link I'll check it out,

p. harrison

Have you tried the Forest of Dean Family History web site?

forestlea65

Many thanks- I use the FOD site, it's brilliant.