DianaCanada

Default Who was William West?

When my ancestor, David Pickard, died in Burnley, Lancs. in 1860, William West was listed as "present at the death". David's address was 4 Fountain Street and William's was number 6. David had been a spindle maker (he was 61 when he died) since a young man and likely had a workshop on Fountain where he had lived with his wife and family since the 1820's.

In the 1861 census, taken about 5 months later, William is at 4 Fountain, as a lodger, with David's daughter, Mary Pickard Astin and her husband and children. No occupation is given. He was 76 years old. A burial record has been found, in Burnley, for a William West age 78 in Mar 1865. The name West is not common in Burnley and this is likely the same man (his address had changed to Peter Street).

I am curious about William, that he was present at the death (no shortage of relatives for David around, including his wife, numerous children, siblings, etc. etc) so thought he might be a relative as David Pickard's grandmother was a West, b. Ann West, in Addingham, Yorkshire.

The curious thing is that William is listed as born in Plymouth, Devon - not many Devonshire folk in the area! I can't seem to locate him on the 1851 or 1841 censuses.

Any help or advice appreciated to track this William down and prove or disprove he is a West relative of David's.

Thanks. Diana.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Diana, he may have been a good friend or workmate who just happened to be on hand at the final moment, perhaps even called in by the family. Do you know the circumstances of hiis death-weather at home in hospital or while out?

Found one in Devon 1841 discounted upon finding his death in 1845.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

DianaCanada

Thanks, Waitabit. Yes, he certainly could have been just a lodger or one of David Pickard's employees (I think he had 3 in the 1851 census). I guess I would like to eliminate that, certainly the birth in Devon would suggest he is not a relative.
    The frustration is not finding anything about him before 1860, when he registered David's death.

David died at home. He died of apoplexy, three days certified. At first I thought he had died as he was working - which might have explained William being there, if he worked for him.

It's true that the family might have been too distraught to go to the register's office. His daughter, my great-great grandmother, tried to commit suicide a few months later. The newspaper reported that she was very upset over her father's death.