Thread: Old Newspapers

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Old Newspapers

Findmypast have now added British Newspapers 1710-1950 as part of their overall subscription package. Their description is as follows:

"The newspapers span the period 1710 to 1950 and include more than 200 local titles.

We are working in association with the British Library to bring you the newspapers and we're adding new pages to the collection all the time. When the project is finished, you'll be able to search 40 million newspaper pages from the British Library's collection."

Mutley

I have a subscription to FMP and yesterday I was quite surprised to find at the bottom of the list of available records, a couple of entries in the British Newspapers. I had not heard that they would be adding it to their records and was very pleased to find it now included.

Today, I specifically wanted to look at a newspaper record, I knew the name and the date but the option to search the newspapers did not show. I've tried everything I can and it is just not showing even, as their other records do, with a 0 beside them.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I've found on a number of occassions records previously found "disappear", and then sometimes they come back. I've sometimes "refound" them using a wild card search.

As far as the newspapers are concerned on the front page of FMP Click on the drop down menu "search records" and that lists "newspapers, directories and social history".

Mutley

The London ones are not there today, they were yesterday but I cannot see them now.
    Perhaps as they are updating it will take a while for all the records to become available.

From the front page clicking on newspapers etc only those below are available on a search for Smith.
    Hull Packet
    Lincolnshire Chronicle
    Sheffield Independent
    York Herald

On the bottom of the searches page under the title Directories only those below are available on a search for Smith.
    Business Index 1892-1987
    Kelly's Handbook 1901
    Pigot's Directory of Herefordshire 1835

However, I've just done the front page search again and many more have appeared as available this time.
    It may be that patience is required and while they are updating the records we may encounter a few blips.

CanadianCousin

About 3 months ago I signed up for a World subscription to findmypast.com (the US version of findmypast.co.uk), but so far British Newspapers aren't included in the available resources. I have heard, however, that they should be added by the end of this year (which probably means early in 2013).

Keeping my fingers crossed -

Tim