Deb525

Default Perry & Cordwainers

Hi,
    Looking for Perry's in Warwickshire. My ancestor was Joseph James Perry, born abt 1840-1846 in/around Edgbaston/Birmingham. He later married Eliza Hall (daughter of James Hall & Mary Amos) and lived in Aston, he later moved to NewZealand with his family. I'm interested in talking to anyone who knows anything about Perry's and/or Cordwainers (shoemakers) as this was his listed profession.
    Thanks in anticipation

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Deb525 View Post
    My ancestor was Joseph James Perry, born abt 1840-1846 in/around Edgbaston/Birmingham.
    Hi Deb,

From where did you ascertain that Joseph was born between those years? It is a pretty wide margin. If from censuses, please provide the references. If from the marriage certificate, what does it actually say about his age? What was his father's name?

Sorry for the questions, but they may help us to find the answers for you.

Reputation beyond repute

If from the marriage certificate, what does it actually say about his age? What was his father's name?
    We would like to know the answer anyway.

If the marriage was in 1862 (just guessing, you didn't say), I would expect the groom's age to be shown. If it shows "full age" that would suggest that he was born in 1841 or earlier.

Deb525

Thanks for you help, The marriage to Eliza was in 1862 (good guess!) and both Joseph and Eliza were said to be 22. (On the marriage cert is says "not known" for the father.
    In the 1861 Census, I'm unsure how to reference properly! It says Birmingham, St Thomas,Household schedule 158,piece 2135, folio 17, page 28. He is an apprentice to Benjamin Withers and is 17 years old. Birth year abt 1844
    In the 1871 census, in Aston, Deritend,Household schedule 12,piece 3135, folio 92, page 2. He is listed as 26 years old, Eliza is 36. Birth year abt 1845
    On his death certificate in 1923 he is 82 years. Birth year abt 1841
    As you can see he is a bit of a mystery before 1861