Angeleyes

Question Scripture Reader

Hi Everybody

My GGGrandfather's occupation on most of the Census Records is as a Scripture Reader or Retired Scripture Reader, except for the 1861 Lancashire where he is down as a Clerk of St Catharines, in Wigan. I have been advised that this would not have paid enough to live on, so would probably have had another job. (1861). He next appears in Middlesex in 1871 as a Scipture Reader. In the St. Pancras/Tottenham area.

Can anybody help with a description of this job? I have heard that Scripture Readers also went door to door, reading scriptures for family's but am unsure if this is correct.

Also can anybody help with the location of any such records that might exist..

Any help or advice greatly received

Thanks

uksearch

Try the following link

https://cpcug.org/user/jlacombe/terms.html

Not that enlightening.Maybe try a Google search.

UK

Angeleyes

Wink Scripture Reader

Thanks Uk

The link you sent does seem to agree wth the info I already had, I am frantically trying different searches now, but not much luck so far, will keep trying.

Thanks for the info

Victoria

A question about scripture readers came up recently on the Bucks RootsWeb mailing list. If you search the archives, you should be able to find it.

I think a reply was posted by Eve McLaughlin, the well-known Bucks genealogist. As I remember, she did not go into much detail, but did mention that scripture readers read improving passages from the Bible to any assemblage of the poor, such as soup kitchens and night shelters. I remember it because it brought to mind an engraving by Gustave Dore, entitled, "The Scripture Reader in a Night Refuge" or something to that effect.
    It hung in the hall of one of the schools that I attended.

Cheers,
    Victoria

Angeleyes

Wink

Thanks Victoria
    I have only just seen your message, will try the link over the weekend.
    I think I have seen the picture you are refering to. Does make you think!

Thanks