LilyAllenFan86

Default Trethewey Sisters

I am having some trouble finding what happened to the four sisters of my great, great Grandmother Eliza Nicholls (nee Trethewey), her sisters were Elizabeth Ann born in 1847 in St Austell, Cornwall, Frances Ann born in 1852 in St Austell, Cornwall, Mary Jane born in 1854 in St Stepen, Cornwall and Amelia Jane born in 1862 in St Stephen.
    They were the daughters of carpenter Thomas Trethewey (1813, St Stephen, Cornwall) and his wife Frances 'Fanny' Allen (1821 St Ewe, Corn-1903, Torquay, Devon), they also had seven brothers John Thomas, William Henry, Samuel James, Alfred George, Frederick, Tom Allen & Henry Beattie.
    Here are the Tretheweys in the census records
    1851 Union Rd, St Austell Cornwall
    Thomas Trethewey H M 33 Carpenter St Stephens
    Frances Wife 29 St Ewe
    Eliza Dau 8 St Stephens
    John Thomas Son 5 St Stepens
    Elizabeth Ann Dau 3 St Austell
    William Henry Son 1 St Austell
    1861 Churchtown, St Stephens Cornwall
    Thomas Trethewey H M 47 Carpenter St Austell
    Fanny Wife 39 St Stephen
    Elisa Dau 18 St Stephen
    John Thomas Son 15 St Stephen
    Elizabeth Ann Dau 13 St Austell
    William Henry Son 11 St Austell
    Frances Dau 9 St Austell
    Mary J Dau 6 St Austell
    Samuel J Son 4 St Austell
    Alfred George Son 1 St Austell
    1871 Cottage Shaugh Prior, Devon
    Thomas Trethewey H M 58 Carpenter St Stephens
    Frances Wife 48 St Ewe
    John S M 24 Carpenter Lydford, Devon
    Fanny Dau in law St Austell
    William Son 20 St Austell
    Frances Dau 18 St Austell
    Mary Dau 15 St Stephens
    Samuel Son 13 St Stephens
    Alfred Son 11 St Stephens
    Amelia Dau 8 St Stephens
    Frederick Son 6 St Stephens
    Tom Son 5 St Stephens
    Henry Son 1mth Shaugh Prior
    1881 16 Braddon St, Tormoham, Devon
    Frances Trethewey Head M 57 St Stephens
    Mary J Dau Dom Servant St Stephens
    Fred son 16 Errand Boy St Stephens
    Tom A son 15 Plumber St Stephens
    Mahala J Dau 17 General Dom Servant St Stephens (Amelia Jane)
    I have a marriage for Elizabeth Ann in 1869 at Plymouth and believe she married a Silas George Bartlett but this is the last I can find of her or her husband.
    Frances Ann was married in 1874 at Plymouth and married either a Joseph William Ball or a George Nicholls, the next I find her is in the 1911 census visiting her brother Tom in Southend Essex where she had become a widow under the surname of Northmore she died in London in 1928.
    Mary Jane married in 1882 in Newton Abbot to a William Henry Cook I believe and dies in 1902 in Newton Abbot from what I can find.
    Then finally Amelia Jane who I can find nothing of after the 1881 census not a marriage or a death.
    I would like to be able to fill in the gabs for these women who have been so more difficult than their brothers, and would really appreciate the help.

Kind Regards
    Beth

pennydog

Could this be Elizabeth on the 1871 census RG10-2111-12-5 at Down Cottage, Shaugh Prior, Devon?

George Bartlett b1844 Shaugh - a clay lab.
    Elizabeth Bartlett b1849 St Austell Cornwall - a dressmaker

LilyAllenFan86

Thanks for that, that is them I really don't know how I missed this one .

pennydog

She was the only sister that I could find though, and could not see her on the 1881 census either. Without knowing the definite spouses and their occupations it is very difficult to locate them. If you really want to find more I think you may need to get some of the marriage certs to give you that extra info.
    Sorry I could not be of any more help.

LilyAllenFan86

Thanks for looking Pennydog I found out Elizabeth Ann and her husband followed her elder brother John to the US living in New Harmony, Posey, Indiana before then moving to Chicago and dying there on July 28th 1919.

Devonmade

Frances Ann married George Nicholls according to Findmypast, however could this be her in 1901:-

Living in Torquay, at "Everdon" Frances Northmore aged 43, b St Austell, widowed, dressmaker (own acct)
    Charles Northmore, son, aged 17, b Winchester, Hants
    James Northmore son, aged 13, b Ireland
    Louise Trethewey niece, aged 16, b Torquay

Sue

LilyAllenFan86

Frances definetley married twice but have been unable to find a marriage for her to a Northmore, but that is definetley her in 1901 thank you Louise being the daughter of one of her brothers.
    Her sister married a Moses John Nicholls and Moses had a younger brother called George Herbert Nicholls who I have been unable to find anything of after the 1871 census it is possible that he is the George Nicholls she married.

Devonmade

It may be worth getting the birth certificate for Charles Northmore :-

1883, Sep Qtr, 2C 118, Winchester, Hants, Charles Leonard Northmore

Sue