stevenwright02

Default Brady - Singapore

I am helping a friend with their family tree but need help/advise on how to find a birth registered in Singapore in the 1950's.

The parents (John Edward Brady & Kathleen Hepburn Fleming) were from Scotland, but as the father was in the RAF they travelled alot which is making things tricky.

Any guidance will be welcomed.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Have you checked the 'indexes to births, marriages and deaths in the armed forces?' This index can be found on findmypast and some other pay sites. See this brief guide here.

For example, on searching the index, the birth of a P_____ A BRADY was registered in Changi, Singapore in 1953. Of course I don't know if this is the one you are looking for.

Alternatively, if you have a slightly more precise year of birth, you could ask the GRO to search for a certificate for you.

stevenwright02

Many thanks, I suspect this is the correct birth, as the ancestor is Patricia Brady born between 1951 and 1957 which all fits.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you checked the 'indexes to births, marriages and deaths in the armed forces?' This index can be found on findmypast and some other pay sites.
    He says they were Scottish though. Aren't there separate armed forces indexes for Scots?

PS Clearly not relevant in this case!!!!

Reputation beyond repute

He says they were Scottish though. Aren't there separate armed forces indexes for Scots?
    I think I was half right. There are separate armed forces indexes for Scots after 1881 but they seem to be a subset of the ones available on FMP. Can someone confirm the situation?

Hollytree

My son was born in Singapore in the early sixties, and I found his birth registration reference from FMP without problem.

This is their help page which explains the changes

findmypast.co.uk/helpadvice/knowledge-base/overseas-military/records.jsp (put WWW in front)

Anne

stevenwright02

Typical that I have an ancestry subscription rather than a FMP subscription so unable to access the record

pennydog

P. A. B. (I have not included full name in case the person is still living)
    Station : Changi
    Year: 1953
    Page: (24)35
    Record source: GRO Army Birth Indices (1881 to 1965)