Dragon.Master

Default Searching for Alfred Simmons in India

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help or point me in the right direction. In the 1881 census my wife's Great great grandfather is recorded as living in Mangotsfield, Gloucestershire and is described as being a "Retired Warrant Officer India" and then just above it was written "Conductor". I understand that Conductor and sub conductor were ranks associated with the East India company but have no idea when he returned to England or if he became part of the Indian Army in 1857.

His two children are also shown in the census an Alfred JJ Simmons and a Lily M Simmons both who are as having been born in Lahore in 1861 and 1862 respectively.

So far I have been unable to trace a marriage for Alfred senior or the birth records of either of his children. I have tried searching Find my Past and FIBIS but with no luck.

Has anyone any idea where I could try looking?

Andy

Knowledgeable and helpful

Family Search has a baptism for an Alfred Joseph Simmons 21 Dec 1860 at Meanmeer, Bengal, son of Alfred and Mary.
    The only marriage they have is in 1859 to an Agnes Amelia Hurley ( groom's father George Simmons bride age 17, father James Hurley)
    There also have a marriage ( to Mary) in London and one in Warwick in 1856 which might be worth checking.

Reputation beyond repute

Your best bet is probably the India Office collection at the British Library.

There's a fair bit of advice online (including the definition of "conductor") and an online database. It is said to contain 300,000 records but that's a drop in the ocean really. A personal visit would be best.

https://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpreg...yresearch.html

Dragon.Master

Thanks Peter,

I'll have to get up to London for a visit.

Andy