Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    implaccable

Default An address in Lewes

Hi everyone, Not long into family history & have found this great site & thought I would pose a question. My Great grandfater died in Lewes in 1908, his death certificate states (under occupation) he was a tailor journeyman, 7 Malling Hill Villas Lewes, can any one tell me where this address was (as it dosent apppear on Google) & what the business name was.
    Many thanks, Matt.

Reputation beyond repute

What was his name?

And is "7 Malling Hill Villas Lewes" exactly what is written in Column 1 of the death certificate? Or is it in Column 5?

Reputation beyond repute

There's an address "7 Malling Hill Villas" in the parish of South Malling. The Cox family were living there at the time of the 1911 census.

Reputation beyond repute

If that's the right place, the next enumeration address was Old Malling Farm which is on an OS map. Have you tried old maps?

implaccable

Hi Peter, his name was Daniel Henry Lally, though hes listed on the cert as Henry, the address is in col 5 & I havent looked at old maps yet, though I will. My main question is what is (if its still there) or what was the address. Its listed under occupation so I presume this is where he worked as a tailor. Matt

Mutley

I am sure it is not there anymore.
    I found a Lewes forum on the internet. There is a thread about schools in Lewes which will not interest you but one of the posters mentions
    The planning information shows that the school was built in the early 1950s and the plan refers to proposed road widening and development which would have been the creation of the 'old' malling estate. The only houses shown on the plan that I can identify are Crosshaven (soon to be demolished), "Malling Villas" which became part of Malling Down / Mill Road and the flats at the bottom of Mill Road.
    Perhaps East Sussex Society has more information.

A copy of the plans for demolishing Crosshaven can be found at
    https://
    cmispublic.lewes.gov.uk/Public/Binary.ashx?Document=4721
    (I've not read through it for clues)

I also saw a reference on The National Archives site regarding planning.
    'Stabling on Spences Lane for 'Malling Villa' [now 'Waitwell'], Lewes for J Arlington by W[illiam] Bussey, [96 Malling Street, Lewes'

I am sure I saw, somewhere' a picture of "Old Malling Farm with Offham church in background" so Offham may be worth a google.

Best I can do.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If the place of death (in column 1) is different from the address in column 5, then I think you will find that the address in column 5 is the home address of the deceased.
    I have a death certificate for a male in 1907. He died in Boston hospital, but in column 5 it says 'Royal Mail driver of Swineshead' - Swineshead being the village where he lived.

Pam

Reputation beyond repute

I have other examples to back up what Pam says.

7 Malling Hill Villas will be his home address, not where he worked (he was a journeyman, not self employed). It's clear from the census that this is a residential address.

David Benson

There is a Daniel Lally at 3, Westgate Street, Lewes in the 1901 census

implaccable

Many thanks to those who have replied, esp Mutley (I will look up the info you have supplied). Col 5 states occupation & the address " Malling Hill Villas", the family lived in 29 Priory St (at this time), moving to 47 Priory St (1911 census), 1901 census they were at 153 Westgate St, Lewes.
    Thanks again, Matt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast