Colin Rowledge

Default A new family to Canada and tragedy happened

I have viewed the 1911 census with particular interest.

Here's why:
    There was an Orphanage located on Elgin Street in Ottawa that would appear to have been run by a lady by the name of Margaret Moffat. She employed a Cook and 5 Domestic Servants. There 78 children housed in the facility.

3 of the children housed there-in are part of my family tree. I have only recently developed this particular family and need to start somewhere

I am satisfied that the 3 children and their parents came to Canada between 1904 and 1906. I have yet to find the arrival of this family in Canada.

A son was born in Carleton, Ontario on 3 December 1906 and a daughter was born in Carleton, Ontario on 14 March 1910. While pregnant with the 5th child, her husband died. His death occured in Carleton, Ontario on 28 January 1910

I believe that after the death of her husband, she placed the 3 children born in England in the Orphanage and arranged an immediate adoption of the new-born.

What I want to find out at this time is information on the orphanage.

There is a direct link to my thread of yesterday where it was determined that 2 girls - Ethel Alice Webster and Eva Maud Webster left England in July 1911 to come to Canada. The reason for their coming to Canada seems pretty obvious to me - the widow in Canada was their sister Elizabeth Webster.

Please help me with this one.

Mary Anne

Colin

Here's a photo and short history of what was then the "Ottawa Protestant Orphans’ Home" (1885), between Lisgar and Cooper streets on Elgin Street. https://urbsite.blogspot.ca/2009/08/
    elgin-street-in-black-and-white.html. It is no longer there, of course, and as a child, I remember regularly attending the cinema that replaced it!

There's more, here (scroll 'way down!): https://urbsite.blogspot.ca/2011/07/
    friendless-orphaned-incurable.html

There is at least one copy of the Annual Report of the Protestant Orphan's Home of Ottawa in Library and Archives Canad -- you may wish to look in the catalogue.

For more, you might want to Google the phrase "Protestant Orphans' Home Ottawa"

Mary Anne
    (here in darkest Ottawa ;-))

jac65

Hi Colin

The following Church family members arrive in Quebec 15th Oct 1905 on the Lake Manitoba

Elizabeth Church 28
    Olive M Church 8 (image looks like 4)
    Fredk Church 3
    Evelyn Church 4 months

The names are bracketed together with the reference Salv (Salvation) Army and it looks like she is a wife of a Bricklayer.

No sign of Frederick senior, he could have travelled earlier, that would not be unusual

Andy

Colin Rowledge

Andy
    These 3 children are in the Orphans Home in Ottawa in 1911.

This is also my 2nd family group that came to Canada under auspices of the "Sally Ann".

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by jac65 View Post
    Hi Colin

No sign of Frederick senior, he could have travelled earlier, that would not be unusual

Andy
    And I can't find him either!!!

Colin Rowledge

Further investigation has revealed the mother may have kept her son that was born in Ontario as the Orphans Home appears to be run in accordance with migrant families where one or more parents were deceased and under the overview of the Salvation Army or similar organization.

If my perception is correct then there should be records in Ottawa of the dates of admission and release from the home. Where might I have access to these records?

Thanks

Mary Anne

Colin

I sincerely doubt that any records remain, but you could write to the organization that eventually grew from the Orphan's Home, the Children's Village (not sure whether it is under the auspices of the Salvation Army or not):

Children's Village of Ottawa
    Address:
    333 Churchill Ave N,
    Ottawa ON,
    K1Z 5B8

Or, you might want to enquire at the City of Ottawa Archives, to see if they have any old records from the Orphan's Home:

City of Ottawa Central Archives
    James Bartleman Centre
    100 Tallwood Dr. (Corner of Woodroffe)
    Ottawa, Ontario
    tel.: 613-580-2857
    fax :613-580-2614
    e-mail: [email protected]

Mary Anne