Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    pennydog

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Deaths on FreeBMD don't yet reach that far, but perhaps someone could look at the index on one of the pay sites as they go further.
    FMP has no deaths shown for the surname 'Hefferson' exact spelling (all countries/all counties selected) 1970 - 2006.

Mutley

I just had a thought that seeing as we do not know what the result of the ID was, whether a male death was registered in the 1970s as an unknown.

In the earlier death indexes quite a few show up with unknown in the first name field and Male in the surname field.
    I tried 1970 - 1980 and there are none, only people with the surname Male. I am not sure how they are registered these days.

roblloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I just had a thought that seeing as we do not know what the result of the ID was, whether a male death was registered in the 1970s as an unknown.

In the earlier death indexes quite a few show up with unknown in the first name field and Male in the surname field.
    I tried 1970 - 1980 and there are none, only people with the surname Male. I am not sure how they are registered these days.

Thanks again Mutley for your time on this, i presume the ID was a positive as from that date on we were always lead to believe he was dead. Question, if either, scenario 2 or 3 of my original post are correct can the Police give details out or is there a time period on that as well?

Mutley

I really don't know the answer to that, I would have thought that if records were kept there would be a closure rule. Maybe 70 years before anything would be released on line.
    I wonder about newspaper reports. I doubt they are on line either, British Newspapers is 1800-1900 but seeing as you are in Hereford the local library would have copies of local newspapers. They may also be the ones to ask about trials or court case transcriptions which may be an easier route than the police.
    https://
    beta.herefordshire.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/libraries/libraries-special-collections/

Good Luck

janbooth

Oops, sorry, senior moment! I must engage my brain before my fingers.

Janet

roblloyd

haha, dont worry i comes to us all, but thanks for your time taken .

DianaCanada

Rob, if you have access to the BMD registers for Births after your parents' divorce, there are a couple of Hefferson children registered - the mothers' maiden names are included (at least on Ancestry) but there are no Hefferson marriages found to match either of these bride's surnames. It is possible, with a bit more research to eliminate them, but it is also possible your father lived in a common law relationship and fathered at least one of these children, and they were registered as though the parents were married. That might place him in a certain area in the 1970s.

DianaCanada

Another thought - as your father was born during the War, he might have been an illegitimate son of a soldier, possibly Canadian at that point, don't know if the Americans had showed up by then - or of course, English. His mother might have registered him under her name, but he might have taken his birth father's name later or a stepfather's name. What name is given for his father on the marriage certificate?

inkybod

Default John Joe Hefferson

Hi Rob
    I have sent you a private email regarding your father. I may know who he was. Please let me know if you do not get my email. Many thanks Sue

roblloyd

Hi Sue ive got a friends son to msg you on Facebook with my email address

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast