Kath Wye

Default 23rd Regiment of Foot

Can anyone tell me where the 23rd Regt of Foot were stationed in August/September 1807?
    My 2xgtgrandfather had a leg amputated in Chelsea(York) hospital in September 1807, discharged from the Army in October/November 1807 on to an outpatients pension. I would like to know why the amputation. His name was William Hobbs born in Alderton Wilts in 1784. He died in April 1837. Any information gratefully received.

Kath in Australia

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Kath Wye View Post
    Can anyone tell me where the 23rd Regt of Foot were stationed in August/September 1807?
    My 2xgtgrandfather had a leg amputated in Chelsea(York) hospital in September 1807, discharged from the Army in October/November 1807 on to an outpatients pension. I would like to know why the amputation. His name was William Hobbs born in Alderton Wilts in 1784. He died in April 1837. Any information gratefully received.

Kath in Australia
    Have a look here Kath

https://www.napoleon-series.org/milit..._23rdFoot.html

Reputation beyond repute

Which battalion?

If the 1st, look up the Second Battle of Copenhagen.

Kath Wye

Hello Peter Goodey,
    Thanks for your message and the info re the 23rd Regt of Foot and my gt gt grandfather. William Hobbs, he enlisted in the Wiltshire Militia in 1803, transferred in April 1805 to the 1st Battalion the 23rd, to the 2nd Batt: July 1807. His discharge papers were made out at Ashford Barracks on 27th October 1807 citing William Hobbs was a private in Captain McLeans Company of the 2nd Battalion,23rd Regt of Foot.

Kath Wye

Hello valg
    Thanks for your message and the website to follow up, Very informative, I know a little more now, I do have a copy of his discharge papers and the muster rolls for the 1st and 2nd Battalions that cite his name.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Kath (Hobbs)