Thread: WWI Service?

DianaCanada

Default WWI Service?

My dad died in March and of now I have got a question I could have asked him. My grandfather, his father, did not serve during WWI, despite being young enough (b. 1876) for conscription. At least one of his younger brothers did.
    He was married had had two children by the time the war began and worked at an iron works. Apparently this would not have been enough to stop him being conscripted at least after 1916.
    I never heard he had any disability and he lived until 1956.
    And yes he was in England.
    Any ideas?

Mutley

I would have thought that certain iron workers were exempt. Someone had to do something with all the railings that were gathered up and made into whatever?
    Munitions, guns, tanks, bullets, helmets and loads of other stuff had to be made to support the war effort.
    Perhaps he was also in the Home Guard or a local voluntary service.

DianaCanada

I thought this might be the case, too, but I read something about by the end of the war about the only occupation exempt were clergymen. Wondering if someone knew something more definite.

Codge01

Do you have any military records for him i.e Regt numbers. If not do you have a name dob and residence to try and locate any remaining records.

I'm not a profesional but I have looked into a bit of WW1 due to famliy members and if I'm not mistaken I don't beleive conscription as we know it was bought in at the beginning of the war, most volunteered, in fact rushed to join worrying it will all be over so soon, swept along with freinds and relatives. Now being approx 38 at the outbreak may of rendered him unfit for service. My Great Grandfather was exact same age and was discharged unfit due to flat feet, however a couple of years later when the army were kind of desperate for men in all companies he managed to join the labour corp/ coy.

That said it's worth noteing one of the oldest known enlistees was aged 69.

There are many reasons he might not of served if that was the case, after all most wanted to, at least in the early years to an extent.

Sorry for your loss.

Regards

Colin