Loves to help with queries

Default COSTAIN NATIVE AMERICAN RECORDS

Ann Costain, Born: 1826 in Prince Edward Island, Canada married James Englilsh Born: 9 April 1812 in Beaugh, Innismar, Saint Donegal, Ireland. In the 1861 Census, James is born in Ireland and Ann is Native American. All their children are listed as Native American. By 1871, all the children are now listed as Irish. I have checked the Native American records and there is no Costain families in Prince Edward Island. Any help or information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Might this just mean that the Costain children were born in Canada or America? not necessariy of 'Native American' families?
    I couldn't find a census with your people but many Costains were born in Prince Edward "Island.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

I suppose that is a possibility. Although her father, John Costain (B: 16 Apr 1799, Isle of Man) didn't died until 15 Dec. 1883 in Miminegash, PEI, I have been unable to find any census records for him and his wife, Isabel Ann (Leard) born: 1803, PEI, Canada either and should have found him at least with his last child, Thomas E. costain born 24 Sept. 1842 in PEI, Canada. I believe Isabel died shortly after as her death date is 1842 in PEI. Are the Canadian census records harder to find people? They seem to give less information than the USA or English census records. I'm guessing John probably remarried as in 1851, he would have at least four children of his nine still at home. I have looked under their names as well, still no luck. I'd really like to put sources to the information I have found. Any suggestions?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Although her father, John Costain (B: 16 Apr 1799, Isle of Man) :

This explains perhaps early searches I did with just 'Costain' Prince Edward Island, which all came up with Isle of Man.
    Do you have a full access to Ancestry?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Not sure if I have full access to Ancestry. I use the Family History Portal at the Family History Library here in Olds. When I goggled Isle of Man, Wiki said it was an Island between England and Ireland so it makes more sense to be Prince Edward Island. Also, if they were Native Canadian wouldn't they say that whereas Indians have full access to all of North America because they are Native Americans?

Coromandel

Hi Happy Jackie

You don't say where your folk were living so I've tried to replicate your findings. There is this family in York, New Brunswick in 1861:

James English, head of family, 47
    Nancy English, wife, 27
    with children James 18, William 16, Elizabeth 14, George 12, Thomas 10, Margaret 8, Sarah Anne 6, John 4, Caroline(?) Amelia 1 and Mary Frances 1 mo.

In a column headed 'Race and where born' it says 'Irish' for James and 'Native' for the rest of the family. Everybody on the page is either 'Irish' or 'Native'. I would agree with Waitabit that 'native' in this context probably just means born in Canada (or perhaps in New Brunswick), especially given that most of the people on the page have Irish surnames.

In 1871 there's this family in Dalhousie, Restigouche, New Brunswick

Jas English, 55, b. Ireland
    Ann 44, b. PEI
    ?? (male), 29 b. PEI
    Sidney (female!), 17 b.PEI
    Mary 16 b. PEI
    Isabella 15 b.NB
    Ellen 11 b.NB
    Caroline 8 b.NB
    James 6 b.NB
    Annie 4 b.NB
    Jane 1 b.NB
    (all with surname English; as far as I can see no relationships are stated)

Are these the families you were looking at? I am not convinced they're the same people: the children's names don't seem to match up at all.

You have the right family for the 1871 census, the wrong family for the 1861 census. Ann is the correct wife for James. In the 1861 census, they are still in Dalhousie and that is where the wife and children are listed as Native Americans.

Coromandel

Sorry, I was only trying to help. I have been kicked out of the library now so won't be able to look anything else up for you. Perhaps someone else will be able to pick up the trail now we know where they were living.

Apreciate your willingness to help. Ancestry drives me crazy! You can look up the same people, using the same information and get better results on one day than on another. I'll keep digging and hope for more help.