Thread: 1891 census

evason

Red face 1891 census

Is there such a thing as an 1891 census of Ireland if so do you have to know where people lived or can you do a name search?
    many thanks
    Joannie
    Last edited by evason; 26-07-2005 at 4:26 PM. Reason: missed out words

Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by evason
    Is there such a thing as an 1891 census of Ireland if so do you have to know where people lived or can you do a name search?
    many thanks
    Joannie
    Sorry to disappoint you but the only complete censuses for Ireland available to the public so far are 1901 and 1911. The ones before this were destroyed. There are snippets from previous censuses available to look at on a few websites but they really are just small sections which were somehow saved from destruction. The best way to find these is probably to put ' Census Ireland' into a search engine such as Google. You just might find something from the 1891. You can't name search as far as I know but the pieces are small enough to make a trawl not too daunting and the ones I've seen tend to be transcriptions in alphabetical order. Good luck.

evason

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra
    Sorry to disappoint you but the only complete censuses for Ireland available to the public so far are 1901 and 1911. The ones before this were destroyed. There are snippets from previous censuses available to look at on a few websites but they really are just small sections which were somehow saved from destruction. The best way to find these is probably to put ' Census Ireland' into a search engine such as Google. You just might find something from the 1891. You can't name search as far as I know but the pieces are small enough to make a trawl not too daunting and the ones I've seen tend to be transcriptions in alphabetical order. Good luck.
    Thanks for your help Sandra.
    Will give it a go
    Joannie