dcmbarton

Default Medical Training Establishment

I am looking into my grandfather's RAF service; he was called up in August 1945. I'm doing reasonably well deciphering the service record, but have got a bit stuck. He went to what's recorded as the MTE.D after initial training at Padgate and then holding at Chipping Warden. I know that the MTE is the Medical Training Establishment, could the 'D' by Depot? Was there more than one MTE? He stayed for six weeks before going to Bridgnorth.

David

Hi David
    Still stuck on this one, Chipping Warden was part of the No. 10 Air Navigation School in August 1945.
    If there was a MTE, E meaning Establishment, the D wouldn't be Depot.
    A Depot was the term used as a training base, from experience, I know that the RAF Police Depot until it was renamed to a school.

dcmbarton

Yes, it's definitely MTE.D. Could the 'D' be the name or location of the MTE I wonder? He was an ACII Nursing Orderly.

David

Just found this term on Google - Medical Training Establishment & Depot, so you are right in thinking Depot, so perhaps there were a distinction between officers (establishment) and other ranks (Depot), you never know? The term I used searching was RAF Medical Training Establishment

dcmbarton

I think that's what I got, but I couldn't then find whether there was only one MTE(D) (RAF Halton?) or several

Coromandel

There's a text file here which (with my browser anyway) appears to have lots of gobbledegook in it:

https://www.
    rafcommands.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/Data/525.txt

Once you've replaced some of the coding with punctuation, however, it begins to make sense. One answer to a query about the "MTE and D" includes the following list:

AIR 29/1593 Medical Training Establishment and Depot, Marsworth near Tring, Herts 1947 Jan.-1948 Dec.
    AIR 29/1594 Medical Training Establishment and Depot, Moreton in Marsh, Glos 1949 Jan.-1950 Aug.
    AIR 29/1827 R.A.F. School of Hygiene, Medical Training Establishment and Depot, Halton 1946 Jan.-1948 Mar.
    AIR 29/2391 RAF Medical Training Establishment, Lytham/Warton 1951 Sept-1955 Dec
    AIR 29/713 Medical Training Establishment and Depot, Halton, Harrogate, Sidmouth, Cheddington and Marsworth, formerly Hospital Orderlies Training Depot, Halton 1919 Sept.-1946 Dec.
    AIR 29/1149 Medical Training Establishment and Depot, School of Hygiene, Halton, renamed R.A.F. School of Hygiene, Halton 1942 Jan.-1945 Dec.

Hope this helps!

dcmbarton

Thanks - he went in December 1945 so that list would seem to suggest RAF Halton. He stayed until the end of January 1946 then went to RAF Bridgnorth.